pump wont prime again

Feb 27, 2014
oklahoma
ok i had this issue a few months ago when the pool was new. i am not able to get the pump to prime.
i have checked all seals, filled the lines with a hose and tried several different speeds. nothing is working. last time the filter was so clogged with dirt from opening it that it would not prime, i finally got it going. i suspect that it is the same again but not sure. i ahve tried on filter,backwash,bypass, every setting on the filter. i have also tried using the pool cleaner suction port. not sure what else I can try. any ideas of something i may be missing? could this be an install issue?

ok here is where i am. I have filled the basket and run on all settings (sand filter) will not prime. ran vacuum on blower setting from basket back toward pool till skimmer was blowing out water and then filled/primed pump basket still would not prime. ran snake down skimmer line from both ends and nothing blocking. I have tried on backwash, filter, bypass, waste every setting except winter. it will not prime. we had this issue at install initially. it got running. was running fine 2 days ago even. shut it off for less than 5 minutes and when i went to turn on nothing but dry run. I would suspect clogged filter but it will not even run on waste or bypass which my understanding is do not go through filter so the only thing left is either defective motor or installation. I feel I should rule out installation though as it was running fine just a few days ago. any thoughts would be appreciated. plan to call pool builder in the morning though to speak with him and then pump manufacturer if he is not any help.

ok so still waiting to hear from PB but my father in law did some snooping and found that it was indeed the install. the tail of the motor is approx 1 inch lower than the nose. this makes the union come together crooked. one cannot see this when it is tightened together but under the fitting there is a small gap which was making the pump suck air. by raising the tail 1 inch the union came together perfect and things run great. thanks for the pointer duraleigh, it really helped.!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.