Salinity question

Thesil

Jun 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Hi all. Had my aqua rite installed on Wednesday. Followed all instructions. Average salinity reads 4,200 and instant is 4,000. My % is set to 70. My FC yesterday was 1.0. My cya was 40. I know I have to get the cya up to 70. Should I turn down the % of salinity? Getting a little confusing
Thanks

My Hayward SWG works when the pool salt percentage level is between 2700-3400 ppm. Anything above or below that and it will shut off to protect itself. I think the 70% percent you think is the salinity level control is really the setting for how long the SWG cell is on.

If you are in fact above the high limit (which is a good chance) for your type of chlorinator the only choice you have is to replace some of the water to bring it down. The only other thing I can think off is possibly you're getting a high salt reading because the salt was just dumped into your pool water all at once. If this was the case and the correct amount of salt was put in initially then it will come down in the next day or so. The pool calculator can help you with how much water you need to replace if in fact that is the case.

The % setting is run time percent. The SWG cycles on and off and you have to tune that percentage along with the total time the SWG is running per day (pump run time) until the pool is maintaining your target FC. There is an article in pool school describing the tuning process. You should bring your CYA up, but do it in batches so you don't overshoot. Use PoolMath to determine how much to add to get to 60. After a week measure CYA again and adjust as necessary.

If you did add too much salt this is probably an indication that you are overestimating your pool volume. If this is the case you should adjust your pool volume estimate down when calculating how much chemical to add (CYA for example) or you will keep overshooting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.