SLAM with zero CYA?

Jun 13, 2014
Bellport,NY
Hello all, new to the forum.
My pool is covered and I want to open it this weekend. I tested the water under the cover with my TF100:

TC=0
CC=0
PH=6.8
TA=20
CYA=0

I used the pool calculator to figure out how much of what needs to be added so no worries there.

The water is a bit murky and there is a coating of algae on the bottom. I want to SLAM but don't know how to proceed with having a zero CYA reading. It is my understanding conditioner can take a week or more to fully disolve. I will need two 121oz 8.25% bottles of bleach just to get to 10, I don't want to throw a hundred $$ worth of bleach at the pool and have it burn up in a matter of minutes.
I have 50 pounds of those 3" slow disolve chloring tabs, should I add to the pool during the slam process to bring up the CYA level, then worry about adding conditioner later?

Please advise, i'm a bit confused.
Thanks.

Those test results are unreliable if the water was not circulated with the pump/filter for at the least 15 minutes.

Take the cover off and use stabilizer/conditioner in a sock if it's low and SLAM to the estimated level you are aiming for. Read up in Pool School on SLAM'ing your pool.

You need at least a little CYA or your CL will be burned off uber quick. Calculate enough to get you to 30 and put it in a sock in front of a return or in your skimmer. Use 30 as your number, its not that it isnt ther efor a week its that it doesnt all show up in the test for a week.

The 3" tabs would take longer than you probably want to wait to get your CYA where it needs to be - save them for vacations.

So...
Step 0 - take a picture and post it up :) we love pictures.
step 1 - get the CYA in target 30.
Steo 2 - get your pH up to 7.2
step 3 - get your CL to SLAM range and KEEP IT THERE. The M in slam is for Maintain. Test and redose at least 2x a day - preferably every hour at the beginning. (mere Here - Shock Level and Maintain SLAM (http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl)
Step 4 - when the pool is clear and you have no CC's perform the OCLT

The above posted by karmabiker. I lost it trying to combine a double approved thread.

I just wanted to stop back now that im closing my pool (Pretty short season) to report using the TFP method, my pool has never been cleaner and more enjoyable.
I can put a copy of "War and Peace" on the bottom of my pool and read it from the surface!
Thanks to everyone who strives to help others at this great website.
Ill be back in the Spring to buy some refills for the TF100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.