Foam vs sand?

Just had mine installed a few months ago and I chose to do foam bottom. Installer did not use any sand but I feel a bit of sand to help level would have made my bottom even better than it is. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my foam bottom. I have had two previous above ground pools with sand bottom and this to me is the best bottom in any pool I have ever put my feet in!!! Now the installer screwed up a few panels and left gaps and there is a few areas where a high spot or low spot in ground at a joint caused a bit of high spot in foam joints which as picky as I am, I don't like put the rest still has me happier with the foam then the sand.

I was told the only difference between fill sand and mortar sand is that the "mortar" sand had been run thru a screen or mesh to get the bigger stones and pebbles out. I am not a mason or in construction, but this is what I was told at the excavating place. Maybe a sales pitch.....anyway I fell for it and bought the more expensive "mortar sand", thankfully when we were raking it out and leveling, we found a 20 year old rusted up chainsaw chain in the sand!:thumbdown:
So much for the screened or meshed sand.
I too wish I'd had put the foamboard down, I am having a terrible time with moles and voles digging under my liner, maybe foam would have helped to avoid this problem for me?

My parents AG pool we used sand initially. There are large trees around the pool and roots got under the pool and caused voids in the sand over time. When we replaced the liner we used the foam over the existing sand and this helps the roots from getting up to the liner. If it was me I would use sand to level then get the foam pad from the pool store...also nicer to walk on. We also used the tapered foam around the bottom edge. Just my .02 cents.

My first year but through my readings I do not believe it will. Make sure you get the extruded. I got the 1 inch. You will also need to get the foam cove.
Are you using the cove with an easy set pool?
We are using a green foam board from Lowe's. So far it has worked out great.

- - - Updated - - -

The foam board that we have is the same that is used on houses. It is made to weather the elements.
Is this what you are using?

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...5176&store=0644&view=detail&nValue=4294858106

Slammed01 put your pool type and filter information in your signature..... That way people are able to help you more readily...

Are you framing up the sand? Because unless you have an above ground pool with steel walls, the sand will wash out from underneath an intex pool.... Sand acts like a liquid when wet..... Fluid Dynamics 101.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.