Stabilizer /Chlorine issue/PH

Hi. I got involved with work and could not post. We have been adding roughly a gallon of bleach every day. If I add only a half gallon the FC drops to 1 to 2 ppm by the next day which is way to low. As I said we are approaching $300, not quite there yet but if we keep this going until October, and with the hottest weather still ahead of us the bleach cost is going to rise very steadily. Last year, before coming to this site, I used the stabilized bioguard pucks, which cost roughly $400 and were no where near as effective and we ended up with a couple of algae blooms and a swamp in the spring. I do not want to go there again but my husband, who goes in the pool but is really not a fan of it, is looking at price and using this method it is going to cost us more at $3.00 per 121 oz. I am just wondering if I am doing anything wrong. I have checked everywhere for algae, we wiped down everything clean with bleach (steps, lights, etc.) before opening. I am now vacuuming twice a week but when leaves and seeds were coming down a few weeks ago it was every other day. Brushing at least two to three times per week. Am wondering if a gallon a day for the 23,800 gallon pool (30 feet round by 4.5 average depth= I keep meaning to change my signature but have gotten very busy with work) is correct. Some days we add two gallons and I have tried adding a half a=gallon but the FC plunges by the next day. Have passed the OCLT several times but did not try it this wee. Most days we are in it at least 4 to 5 hours with myself, my husband, and at least one of my children and maybe a friend or two. We have solar panels and the water is averaging 86 to 92 depending on the day. If this sounds fine then I will try to persuade him that I am doing it right and that he can take the pool care over if we go back to the pucks. The only complaint I have is that it is costing more not less but I am very happy with the look and feel of the water. It really sparkles.
Today FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.4
ALK 140
I did not test CYA again because I am sure it did not change from yesterday.
Just making sure I am doing it right or if I am missing something - what is it?

- - - Updated - - -

How do I edit the signature line? I have tried but it won't let me click in and change the gallons on my pool.

Last edited:
Pool math : 23800 gallons + 121 oz of 8.25 is only 3.4 Fc per day Your not missing anything that I see and there's not really anything wrong.

Alternatives:

*Increase CYA = (I can't comment on the benefits of going above 50 cya for your situation/location)
*Decrease cost of bleach (have you shopped/called around comparing prices/jug size/jug strength or check out the bleach price thread for deals.
*Salt water Generator -
*Solar cover (blocks uv rays and lowers chlorine consumption, but can also be a head ache dealing with plus replacing every few years.)
*or going back to chlorine pucks.

That helps. I wrote my last post and then let my hubby read it. Pools are not his thing and I do all the maintenance on it. He is more interested in decks, lights, etc. and he is not looking to take the pool maintenance over. I am so happy with the results of the pool and although it seemed like we were going through a fair amount of bleach it looks great. If it appears that what I am doing is on target, and he reads that from others then I think I will be free and clear. While overall I am not sure how much money this will save us I am really interested in how great the pool looks and feels. No one wants to jump into a green or cloudy pool but it isn't hard to get someone to jump into a sparkling clear one.

FYI .. I will post this under bleach prices for everyone but I was able to find a local ACE Hardware and talked to the manager. He has a local bleach supplier who has 14.5% bleach for $19 for 5 gallons. - which may bring my overall cost down and make my hubby happy. With pool math to go from 2ppm to 7ppm in my pool at 8.25% I needed 179 oz. At 14.5 % I only need 102 oz. Saving 77 oz per day at roughly $3.80 per gallon should help. With the higher concentration I may only stock up a week at a time to avoid losing strength. I appreciate the help with this. I am new to this method and I honestly thought I was doing something wrong for me to need to put in over a gallon of bleach almost everyday to keep the FC near 7ppm. My husband, who is not a pool lover was sure I was doing something wrong. It is making me feel better that my numbers are checking out ok.

Something to remember...just about everyone loses about 2-3 PPM fc per day... it's just a matter of how big your pool is and how much it takes to raise it back up by 2-3 per day. My 12500 gallons only takes 25 oz to raise it by 2 with 12.5%. Now think about duraleigh and his 44K gallon pool and no SWG needs 88oz to do the same.

your 121 oz jugs of 8.25% bleach at $3.00 per jug is 0.30 cents per oz of sodium hyperchlorite

your new find of 5 one gallon jugs of 14.5% at $19 comes out to 0.20 cents per oz.

Now everyone that lives near a menards, probably stocked up on their buy one get one free chlorine sale....so 2 gallon jugs for 3.99 of 12.5% was 0.124 cents per oz....so your getting down there to the better/best price ranges out there....

So your new source is cheaper. Just keep an eye on sales and go through the bleach price thread and see what else you can find that you might have in your area... Here's a link of a calculator created by a member here for easy comparison of prices when looking at different size jugs vs different size strength. http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/chlorine/

For your new found source, I used

Price 19.00
units 5
oz/unit 128
%Cl 14.5

With the higher concentration I may only stock up a week at a time to avoid losing strength
You do know it's best stored in a dark and cool place. Could stock up on more than a week at time if that becomes too much work with weekly trips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.