HELP!!! - Pool over chlorinated

Ok, here's my test results this morning...

FC-10
CC-0.5
CYA-70
TA-120
PH-6.8

So to dos would be
1) Do nothing with FC and let the sunlight reduce it
2) Do nothing with CC since it is in ideal range
3) Do nothing with CYA since it is in ideal range for SWG
4) Increase PH to ideal range
5) Lower TA to 60-90 because I have a saltwater pool

So for #4, I should add borax or aerate it. I can't aerate because I don't have fountain installed yet.

For #5, I have no idea how to lower TA because this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity says to add acid to lower ph and then aerate to raise ph without increasing TA and then repeat steps as necessary. The problem is my ph is already low and I don't have a fountain to aerate.

And kids pool party is tomorrow. Safe to use pool or not?

Ok, here's my test results this morning...

FC-10
CC-0.5
CYA-70
TA-120
PH-6.8

So to dos would be
1) Do nothing with FC and let the sunlight reduce it
2) Do nothing with CC since it is in ideal range
3) Do nothing with CYA since it is in ideal range for SWG
4) Increase PH to ideal range
5) Lower TA to 60-90 because I have a saltwater pool

So for #4, I should add borax or aerate it. I can't aerate because I don't have fountain installed yet.

For #5, I have no idea how to lower TA because this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity says to add acid to lower ph and then aerate to raise ph without increasing TA and then repeat steps as necessary. The problem is my ph is already low and I don't have a fountain to aerate.

And kids pool party is tomorrow. Safe to use pool or not?

The FC level is a bit high...but the sun will bring it down. For a SWG pool with a CYA level of 70....the shock value is 28...so I think you are fine to swim with it at 10.

You have the procedure down for the TA and PH. To lower TA you add acid to reduce the PH and that also lowers the TA...then you aerate to raise the PH back up. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now to get my TA down to where it's suppose to be. It works like a charm too. Since your PH is already low...you need to raise it before adding an acid. The best way is through aeration. The kids playing in it will aerate the heck out of it. Also until you get a fountain you could turn off the intex retrun valve and then unscrew the hose from it and zip tie it through one of the openings at the top of the pool where the T joints are. That way when the pump is running it will shoot the water back into the pool above the waterline and aerate it.

I am new at all of this too...been doing it for 3-4 weeks, so if there is a better way or any of my suggestions are wrong someone with more experience please let me know.

Ok, folks. Pool Party is over and here are the test results...

FC-8
CC-0.5
TA-100
CYA-80
PH-7.2

I will be on business trip next week for a week and my wife doesn't have a clue how to test and balance the pool. So question is, will the pool be safe for them to swim in while I am away?

Thanks again for your help...

Your numbers look good. The pH should rise on its own. The fc is at 10% of the cya, which is good. The ideal range is about 5 to 15 % of the cya, or 4 to 12 ppm. I would keep it closer to the lower end, but high enough to ensure that the fc never goes below the minimum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just want to thank everyone here for their help. Since my last post, we have been enjoying the pool. The kids love it and my wife has come to love it too. This forum rocks!!!

Here's the latest addition to my pool. The kids went crazy with it. They were playing outside of the pool so I decided to attach it to the pool using zip ties and now the kids can be in the water while playing. When they are done with it, we just need to slide the top poles out where the net is attached and set it aside.

pareva2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.