Just found out about TFP, here to give pool gurus a good challenge.

So, another update.

I added both containers of Great Value Bleach into the pool via the skimmer, very very slowly. Then I took socks my in-laws bought me for xmas that I never even thought about wearing (thanks guys!) and poured all four pounds of CYA into the sock, and massaged it holding in the water circling above the skimmer. About ~20 minutes later it was all dissolved and gone. I will test in the morning as per the SLAM method, and I might test some of the chemicals now out of interest and see what they say. About the copper, since emptying the pool is difficult in my situation, I believe I'll buy metal sequestrant for the remaining of this year. Then when it gets too cold outside, I'll see about getting the copper out of there more permanently. Sound good everyone?

About the copper, since emptying the pool is difficult in my situation, I believe I'll buy metal sequestrant for the remaining of this year. Then when it gets too cold outside, I'll see about getting the copper out of there more permanently. Sound good everyone?
I think you will find that most folks here are all about giving you the information and education you need to make informed decisions.

I hope you can get it sparkly clear and be swimming soon!

Update: I tested the waters a second ago regarding the OCLT guidelines, the readings I measured are:

FC - 8
CC - .5~1 (the tube almost, just barely didn't clear up after the first drop, the second did it)
ph - 7.2

...and I only added the chemicals in a few hours ago in the dark. I'll test again in the morning to see what happens.

Good job so far. Only thing I would mention is to add bleach in front of returns, not into skimmer. Going into the skimmer exposes your pump to a high concentration of Bleach, which if done frequently can prematurely wear out seals and rings. Safer to add in front of a return jet to let it mix thoroughly in the pool before hitting equipment. Brushing sides of pool below returns after adding makes sure no bleach settled on bottom too, although that's a bit OCD... I do it. Brushing 3 strokes. Brushing 3 stokes. Brushing 3 strokes. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Good job so far. Only thing I would mention is to add bleach in front of returns, not into skimmer. Going into the skimmer exposes your pump to a high concentration of Bleach, which if done frequently can prematurely wear out seals and rings. Safer to add in front of a return jet to let it mix thoroughly in the pool before hitting equipment. Brushing sides of pool below returns after adding makes sure no bleach settled on bottom too, although that's a bit OCD... I do it. Brushing 3 strokes. Brushing 3 stokes. Brushing 3 strokes. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You shouldn't have told me that, I am the most OCD person on this earth... But seriously, thanks for that info, def use the return jet as a way to disperse it throughout the pool from now on!

Morning Update:

Did the tests and got these numbers:

FC - 1.5! (Dropped by 6.5)
CC - .5
ph - 7.2
CYA - 20

Concerning the CYA Level:
Since I just added the CYA stabilizer last night enough to get it well up to 40, it only read at 20, but I remember seeing it may take up to a week to fully register the solid form (that I massaged to help dissipate it quicker). So, do you think it is still in the phase of raising it to 40 as we speak, or that the reading of 20 CYA was accurate?

A question about my filter: The PSI is still @ 10, which is perfectly normal. What recommendations do you guys have about backwashing even if it isn't past the 25% mark as suggested in pool school in this algae-filled situation?

Well, as per the readings on the tests, I guess I'm off to buy more Wally World bleach and maybe find some metal sequestrant, and I'll scrub the inside of the pool down when I get home and add everything in. Some pictures of what it looks like right now:

you should be skimming out any organic material floating around. it looks like there are leaves or sod or something poking out all over the water.

We are, a portion of that is the dying algae that we've been scooping out, and the rest are random leaves that fall from the trees from the numerous storms over the past two weeks. The three huge trees directly to the right of the pool isn't any help... :rolleyes:

Thanks Chris!

Here is a harsh assessment that may help or may make you mad but, really, I am trying to help.

I see nothing in your posts that indicate you are making ANY attempt to SLAM the pool according to the article in Pool School. Unless you follow that guideline exactly, you will probably never get your pool clean and it is impossible to get the precise test you need.

I see no attempt to reach SLAM value FC. I did see an attempt at the OCLT which is meaningless until you think you are finished with the SLAM. It appears to me that you do not understand the procedure of SLAMming your pool and need to read that article and follow it if you are going to get your pool crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a harsh assessment that may help or may make you mad but, really, I am trying to help.

I see nothing in your posts that indicate you are making ANY attempt to SLAM the pool according to the article in Pool School. Unless you follow that guideline exactly, you will probably never get your pool clean and it is impossible to get the precise test you need.

I see no attempt to reach SLAM value FC. I did see an attempt at the OCLT which is meaningless until you think you are finished with the SLAM. It appears to me that you do not understand the procedure of SLAMming your pool and need to read that article and follow it if you are going to get your pool crystal clear.

Thanks for the response duraleigh.

I am, in fact, attempting to SLAM the pool as we speak as per some previous posts in this thread. Following the Pool School SLAM walkthrough:

"If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should SLAM the pool." Check. I do have a wealth of algae, and my CC level is currently at 1 (just tested a second ago, as well as numerous times in past few days with the TF-100 kit).

"You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. Check.
You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. Check.
It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. Check.
Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible). Check.
Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start. Check.
Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing." Check.

"Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level), test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day, backwash or clean the filter as needed, and vacuum up debris as needed. Check., this is what my entire day as been committed to. The part about chlorine being rapidly eaten up is spot on, it was at 0. Added enough to get it to 10-12, and tested shortly afterwards and it was already up to 8. Woke up this morning and it was already back down to 1.5.

Does this help with what you were saying? And I wouldn't get upset about advice from you guys one bit, getting mad and yelling at my pool won't scare the algae away, and I'm humbled by everyone's advice more than you know!

Photos of the pool after hitting it with second round of bleach to bring it up to 10, scrubbing all walls and floor, and continuously skimming debris off surface (then the storm came back):

It looks a bit more green than these photos seem to look, but maybe I'm going crazy.

You have a CYA of 40 ppm in your pool...regardless of the test result, you use the value of the dosage.
Just added two more jugs of bleach from Walmart, as well as two caps of NC METALfree. I'll give the bleach some time to circulate and some time for the rain to die down, then I'll retest + post.
That's backwards.....test the existing FC first and then bring the FC up to SLAM value by using PoolMath. It is essential that you sla(Maintian) the FC at 16 ppm constantly.

test result - 10 ppm
add - 6 ppm
test result - 4 ppm
add - 12 ppm
etc.
etc.

Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).
Usually, there may be 10 times as many leaves or more on the bottom of a pool than you see floating and it looks like you have a lot of floaters.

You have a CYA of 40 ppm in your pool...regardless of the test result, you use the value of the dosage.

I understand now, since I know I added that amount to bring it to that level, I treat it like that even though it hasn't reached it test-wise yet. Thanks for answering that question.

That's backwards.....test the existing FC first and then bring the FC up to SLAM value by using PoolMath. It is essential that you sla(Maintian) the FC at 16 ppm constantly.

test result - 10 ppm
add - 6 ppm
test result - 4 ppm
add - 12 ppm
etc.
etc.

Usually, there may be 10 times as many leaves or more on the bottom of a pool than you see floating and it looks like you have a lot of floaters.

Gotcha, I'll test one last time to get the most up to date number, then add more bleach using PoolMath again. Considering you're probably right about the leaves, what is your opinion on the safely of me simply getting into the pool and scooping them out by hand? Thanks for the quick response, if you didn't live in NC I'd offer you a drink. I can send one via UPS?

Function on the assumption that your CYA is 40 - test and dose significantly more often, every hour when you are home and overshoot the target by a bit if you will be away or sleeping. Otherwise you will just yoyo. Some of us have been known to get up at midnight or 2 to do a SLAM dose.

SLAM Shock Level and ... MAINTAIN.

I think you get it ... just need to get that maintain thing going.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha, I'll test one last time to get the most up to date number, then add more bleach using PoolMath again. Considering you're probably right about the leaves, what is your opinion on the safely of me simply getting into the pool and scooping them out by hand? Thanks for the quick response, if you didn't live in NC I'd offer you a drink. I can send one via UPS?

It's safe to swim up to shock level (at least form a CL standpoint ...)

what is your opinion on the safely of me simply getting into the pool and scooping them out by hand
The safety factor is inversely proportional to the total number of adult beverages consumed. :laughblue:

(Seriously, that's exactly what I would do. You have chlorine to keep it pretty sanitary, CYA to keep the chlorine from fading a suit and VERY likely a handy leaf net that will allow you to get around the pool pretty quickly....go for it)

I'm no expert but in my simplistic view balancing CYA and FC keeps your water clear and algae from growing on surfaces. In other words it keeps your water in balance for people. The other properties pH, TA and CH keeps your water in balance so it plays "nice" with your equipment and pool surface. So it is possible to have a nice sparkly pool for your swimmers but still have an out of balance pool that over the long term may be damaging your equipment or surface.

Well said!

karmabiker and duraleigh: Just tested, 7.5 FC, w/ my pool statistics and the chlorine levels in these bleach jugs, I have to add another 1 and 1/2 jugs to get it to 16, then I'm diving in.

Cool - when you get out and dryed off it should be just about time for another test and dose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.