Retiling (replacing tile, installing new tile)

Jun 5, 2011
Hate adding another post, but can't seem to find my answers.

I'm looking for the best resource(s) online for purchasing pool waterline tiles at the cheapest price. I'm aware of NPT, Noble, Universal Tile CO, and Mastertile. Are there any others? Is one of these better than the others as far as price, customer service, freight charges, etc.?

I currently have 6" x 6" five-piece tiles, but considering going with 3x3s or 2x2s as an option since I have curves as well as sides to deal with. What is the plastic trim at the top of the tile called and what is its purpose (see photo)? Do I need to replace that too when retiling or do the tiles just slide up underneath that and get sealed when I grout?

Tight budget on pool refurbish project due to life event, but need to make the pool look nice before selling the house. THANKS for the feedback.

Attachments

• 0603141207.jpg
    0603141207.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 159
Are any of the tiles falling out? The cheapest option would be having them professionally cleaned (like with soda/bead blasting). All that white should come right off.

jblizzle is right! If they aren't falling off they can be cleaned and a skim coat of grout put on. This is a picture of my early 90s tile from a couple of months ago. This was the first step in my pool facelift, so this shows the ugly paint and the ugly deck, but look at the tiles! My neighbor thought I had it re-tiled. It looks that good.

and here it is with the new plaster:

Nice tiles and plaster!

Unfortunately some of my tiles popped off before I moved in and they;re bulging out in certain areas, which leads me to believe water is now behind the tile and doing damage to the thinset/area. Guess I could just redo those areas by demoing a section and reinstalling the same tiles and try to find the same design somewhere for those few pieces that are missing or incase I destroy some during the demo.

Anyone know how much bead blasting costs? I had one quote to retile the pool and that ran $17 a linear foot plus tax, approximately $1,530 + tax for a 16'x20' pool with curved ends. See why I wanted to do it myself!?

Was your pool a total replaster or did you use some type of roll-on plaster mix/compound? I like the deeper color instead of the standard white.

THANKS for the bead blast suggestion...maybe that too could be a DIY project if I can find the equipment to rent and supplies somewhere local.

There are a few threads discussing DIY bead blasting ... although the equipment (unless you already have it) costs near the same as paying someone to do it ... I would say in the $3-400 range.

Might be hard to find matching tile though.

OK, I've decided to retile the pool...approximately 46-48 sqft, because I can't find new tile to match the old. I'm good at tiling indoors - kitchens, floors, backsplashes, showers, etc., but have never done a pool before. THE PLAN is to use Laticrete products - Hydro Ban waterproofing , 254 Platinum premium modified mortar (one-step, polymer fortified, thin-set mortar), and Spectralock Pro Premium Grout (bright white) with a <0.5 water absorption rate. Once tiles are cured I'll pressure wash the plaster and fill 'er up!

MORE QUESTIONS:

- See photo above - what is the plastic strip at the top of the tile and what does it do?
- Keeping the proper tile spacing all around the pool, how do you ensure there's enough space for that last tile once you get all the way around the pool back to the beginning? Do you make a mark every foot or two and stay within the lines? Some other technique? I'd hate to get to the end of a job and whoops, there's only enough room for half a tile. That would look stupid! Just trying to plan ahead.
- I'm chiseling the old tile off with an electric hammer/chiseling device. Once those are off, how do I get the old mortar off and is it easy to tell how deep to go? I have a 4" circular grinder, but don't know what type of wheel to use. There isn't much on the internet regarding demolition or removing of old tiles.
- Any thoughts on the Laticrete products? I know I could go with similar Versabond products like Red Guard, but the locals seem to be most knowledgeable about Laticrete when it comes to swimming pools.

THANKS!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I'm using porcelain tiles from cepactile.com...3" x 3" either on a dot mesh or backing. I'm hoping for a dot mesh so I don't have to peel the backing off of all those tiles and then have to use spacers.

I know this thread is from last year, but thought I'd add my $.02 in case it helps anyone.

First off, don't feel like you have to buy "pool tile". Doing so means you will spend more. If your current tile is thin, then keep that in mind when looking for new tile (vs. a 1/4" floor tile that will stick out from the wall).

I wouldn't try to space the tile all around the pool so you end on a perfect full tile...madness. Just find a place thats not seen as much and make that the place where you have the cut tile. Also, if you have fairly wide grout joints, say 1/8-3/8" then you can adjust the tiles a few feet to the laft and right of the last tile so it fits whole.

For the grinder, the best wheel to use is called a diamond cup wheel. It will eat through old mortar like butter.

A quality, fortified, thinset made by Latricrete, Versabond, or Mapei (my favorite) will all work. BTW, redguard is for waterproofing, ie....walls in steam showers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.