New pool questions

Cylon

May 16, 2014
NYC
I had my pool installed a month ago and the construction in the backyard completed 3 days ago and the water was VERY Green. I have the TFT 100 XL test kit and when I opened my pool i had no chlorine, 7.8 Ph, and 0 CYA

I added 16oz by volume of granular CYA in a sock day 0 (it is day 3 and it is still dissolving)

I shocked the pool religiously to about 10-15 ppm of FC and tried to maintain that level every hour.

This is the beginning of day 3, and it is no longer green but very cloudy and I can't see the floor yet.

Last night the level was
FC 9.5
CC 1

This morning before the sun rose was
FC 8
CC 1

Am I doing everything right so far?

Also, the only vacuum I have is the Aquabot Junior, can I throw that in while shocking and running the filter?

Thanks

How much CYA did you add? SLAM to that level and don't stop til the pool clears!

You're doing fine. Since it's a fresh fill, there probably isn't a whole lot of debris in the pool besides dust. So the lack of vacuuming probably doesn't make much difference. You should have roughly 25 CYA, so you're SLAMming at the right level.

I'd say it's just the cartridge filter taking forever to clear things. Be sure to brush to get the sediment up in circulation so the filter can grab it, and watch the pressure and clean the filter when it starts clogging.

I just noticed that my pump has lost pressure, on the gauge it has a start mark (20 psi) and a clean mark (30 psi) and right now its about 17 psi under the start. I also noticed that the stream is barely visibile, but when I first turned on it was alot stronger.

What can cause this?

I just noticed that my pump has lost pressure, on the gauge it has a start mark (20 psi) and a clean mark (30 psi) and right now its about 17 psi under the start. I also noticed that the stream is barely visibile, but when I first turned on it was alot stronger.

What can cause this?
Low pressure indicates a restriction on the suction side, or an air leak. First check for a clogged skimmer basket and pump basket. Also check that the water level is high enough that the skimmer is not creating a vortex and sucking air. Make sure the flapper isn't stuck.

Low pressure indicates a restriction on the suction side, or an air leak. First check for a clogged skimmer basket and pump basket. Also check that the water level is high enough that the skimmer is not creating a vortex and sucking air. Make sure the flapper isn't stuck.

I checked and cleaned the skimmer basket and the pump basket and released any air before starting her up again and it still is at 17psi.

Where should the water level be? Mine is a little over half way of the skimmer return

Halfway up the skimmer opening should be right. Try flicking the gauge face with your fingernail a few times. Maybe the needle is sticking.

I flicked the gauge it didnt do the trick, but I also notice the pressure being alot less when I first turned it on.

Tomorrow I will stop the pump and clean the cartridge maybe that is causing it?

On a side note, my CC count seems to be increasing in the past few hours, going from .5 to 1, is this normal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is if things are being oxidized. Usually a dirty cartridge causes pressure to rise. I'm thinking a clog. Can you turn off the pump, open the pump basket and check your impeller? put your fingers in the hole behind the basket.

It is if things are being oxidized. Usually a dirty cartridge causes pressure to rise. I'm thinking a clog. Can you turn off the pump, open the pump basket and check your impeller? put your fingers in the hole behind the basket.

Tried that as far as my finger can reach and no clogging. I might have to call a pool expert to come take a look.

Something some where might be clogged because when I first turned on the unit it went to about 20 psi then I remember it rose slightly every few hours and when I noticed it has been at 17psi for about 24 hours now

My pool guy is booked solid so I am going to disconnect all the connections and hope that one of the connections weren't air right.

My pump/filter is cleaning the pool but very slowly :(

How much nylon tape (white tape) do you put around the threaded connections? When I did it I went twice around but a friend of mine said to go 4-5 times around and he feels that's where my problem lies.

Also, I did not put lubricant on the filter basket, should I?

Took every connection off and re-did everything and even changed the shut of valve since I had a spare, bled the system, released any air and fired her back up. the pressure went to 17-18psi and stayed there hasnt moved. Now I am paranoid it is not strong enough and I feel it was stronger the very first time I fired it up.

1 - How strong should the stream be? Should I see the water moving or not necessarily?

2 - If I had an air leak, would the pressure continue to drop of will it stabilize?

Update - I found the problem, it was a drain plug on the bottom. I found a youtube video online of a guy burning 3 sticks of incense and bringing them near all the joints to see if any of the smoke gets sucked in and it worked for me. I wanted to post here in case anyone has a similar issue with this.

Thanks for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.