Brand new 3/4HP PENTAIR WHISPERFLO pump needed service out of the box

Apr 25, 2014
Southern Ontario
Hi folks,

I wanted to share my experience with my brand new Pentair Whisperflo pump... and I am extremely disappointed. I connected my pump and all electrical (running on 115V) and upon power up, the shaft turned about 3/4 turn and then stopped.. the motor hummed, and tripped my breaker.. The pump is 12 amps and is on a dedicated circuit with 14/2 wiring.. after turning the breaker back on, and encountering resistance when trying to manually turn the pump shaft, I powered up and it did the same thing.. I took all my wiring apart and re-did it- same effect.. I took the pump to a motor shop that has been in business 65 years and the guy told me it was the second exact pump like mine he'd seen with same problem.. The way it was assembled improperly, it was getting hung up, and being a low torque pump could not keep turning, hence tripping my breaker when it called for excess amps...

Don't remember what exactly was getting hung up but I do remember feeling this in the shaft when I was troubleshooting ... Now the **** part of this hole deal was not only did it cost me $25, I have now voided my warranty as this was not an authorized Pentair service centre.. What a rip.. Just thought I would share my disappointment with this Pentair product as I had assumed I was buying quality.. Buyer beware I guess.. And to save a few bucks I bought it online from a reputable distributor in the USA, so sending it back would have cost ample shipping..

Anyways... Hope no one else has this problem but if you do, this could be why..

Thanks,
Tailgate

Most of the motors come wired for 230v and you need to switch some terminals in the motor wiring box to get 115v. I think that may be your problem

Thanks for the tip... The motor is usable as both 115 and 230v and is switched by a setting on the power hookup plate by turning an arrow on a black bolt head to the 115v setting.. I assumed this was all that had to be done.. Does anyone know conclusively? It was not mentioned in the manual.

Thanks again
Tailgate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.