Clearing Turquoise-Blue Water

Jul 2, 2012
Have recently been through the process of shocking my pool to clear a fairly sizable algae bloom. The water has mostly cleared, clearly leaving dead algae in the pool. The water looks fairly blue, but still has a tinge of turquoise to it and is slightly cloudy, most noticeable in the deep end (you can see the main drain, but the water still doesn't look perfect).

The FC level has been holding approx. 22 - 24 ppm over night for several days consecutively now without dropping. I've been back-washing once daily to clear out some of the gunk being filtered from the pool.

My filter has been running 24 hours daily for roughly 6 days during which I've been shocking the pool (holding FC levels as previously mentioned for last 3 days); however, since the pool has yet to be cleared, I'm wondering if I am having a filtration issue? Or if perhaps there was just that much algae in the pool that it is taking several days to clear? I will say it has gotten slightly better each day.

Current levels are as follows:

FC: 22
CYA: 50 - 60
pH: 7.2
TA: Approx 70 (low, I know, but pH is holding ok)
Salinity: Approx. 3400

Any thoughts here? Thanks.

Sand filters can take a week, occasionally two, to fully clear the water. You should see some visible improvement from day to day, even if small. If you don't see any improvement day to day then something is going wrong. As you near the end, it is best to not backwash until the pressure goes up. Slightly dirty sand filters are better at catching the finest debris.

Sand filters can take a week, occasionally two, to fully clear the water. You should see some visible improvement from day to day, even if small. If you don't see any improvement day to day then something is going wrong. As you near the end, it is best to not backwash until the pressure goes up. Slightly dirty sand filters are better at catching the finest debris.

I think I'm in the same boat. This coming Saturday will make 2 weeks. I don't remember it taking this long to clear my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.