Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green water after clearing the stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Green water after clearing the stains

I have recently used Stain Free from Natural Chemistry to clear the iron stains on my skimmers and light/return fixture. The stains did clear, so I added Metal Free maintenance dose (I have already put the initial dose & now maintaining). The water was clear for about 24 hrs, then it turned very cloudy, and I found no FC when I tested. I suppose that algae started when the FC was down to 0 ppm for the Stain Free dosage.
    I shocked it to 20 ppm, on Tuesday night, and noticed that the iron stains are back on Thursday morning. I added more of the Metal Free, about 6 to 7 oz, and an hour or so later the water is green.
    This moring, Thursday, my readings are:
    FC 15.5
    CC trace
    pH 7.6
    T/A 170 ( it does run high)
    CYA 40
    CH 260

PLEASE advise what I should do. Thank you very much for the help in advance 8)
    My little bit of Heaven :)
    A/G, 13,050 gal, sand filter, vinyl liner
    AquaVac Tiger Shark robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green water after clearing the stains

You need to be really careful about shocking right after a stain treatment. You should read the Pool School article on metals and the ascorbic acid treatment artile it links to for more details and possible solutions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Green water after clearing the stains

I was reading Waterbears stain treatment article yesterday and he said be sure to use PolyQuat 60 algaecide to prevent an algae bloom while doing a stain treatment, and not to shock for 2 weeks following the stain treatment. Bring the FC up slowly, using sequesterant to keep the staining from returning.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com