First Post and First Pool

Today i received my borates tester and it seems to be around 15 or so. I also re checked my CYA and it comes in just under 30 each time. I would like to bring my Borates up to around 50 so Im in the search for a local distributor or Boratic Acid. From the reading Acid seems like the better way to go not having to chase ph like you do with borax. As for ph and FC I tweaked them a little as well. FC is now at 3 and ph is a little low at 7.2. I used too much acid. I plan to go back Tomorrow and check everything again plus brush and vacuum so we can swim Monday when we get the keys.

Ok i actually jumped in yesterday i couldn't take it anymore. Plus i really wanted to know how deep the pool was. Im 5' 10" and with my feet on the bottom an hands raised up i still didnt brake the water so im thinking the pool is at least 8'6"

I wouldn't worry about borates too much at this point. I would take some time to learn your pools behavior and do it when it settles down. Have you tested your fill water yet? It might give you an idea on how things will fluctuate.

I have not it's a manual top off. I found the valve for it but I'm not sure where the water enters the pool? I should be able to test the tap water from the hose i would think. It should be the same source

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

water will enter by way of a fitting, usually somewhere on the wall. Looks like a return but prolly without the eyeball. Just find out which one has no water coming out with the valve off and then check that one again with the valve on. It prolly wont have a lot of pressure like the return does.

I have not it's a manual top off. I found the valve for it but I'm not sure where the water enters the pool? I should be able to test the tap water from the hose i would think. It should be the same source

u6ypeqyz.jpg

So my wife and are are finally in our house. The pool has been great but for some reason i have these marks that look as if when i brushed the pool it left the pool bottom a darker shade of white than areas in the center of the pool that i might of missed. Its kinda hard to explain and i will try to take a picture of it in the morning before work. The marks are roughly the same size of my brush and my vacuum so its hard to tell what happened. Could it be some form of algae? I have dove down and tried to brush it and it wont lift. So im leaning towards something in the pores of the plaster. Any Ideas?

Very nice pool. I'm not sure what that could be..metal staining, maybe scale. Does it feel any different? Maybe there from the beginning?

Maybe the cleaner was down/off for a while and some sand/dirt settled in the bottom and stained it. I would try the Vitamin C test.

Ok I haven't herd of that one yet I'll have to read about it. I'm doing a chlorine consumption test over night to see if there is anything growing that could be the cause. Thanks for the response. My wife and I both agreed we didn't remember it from the first time we saw the pool so that's why I'm leaning towards finding a culprit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach or any other form of chlorine into your pool now will be mostly wasted.

Your first order of business is to scoop the sludge and leaves from the bottom of the pool and get the pool circulating properly.

After that, chlorine will start to have an effect.

Like Dave says, physically getting organic material out of the pool with a leaf rake, skimmer net, brush will accelerate the clean up process dramatically. Get everything out that you physically can, then the bleach can work on other things such as algae and other organics and not get unnecessarily consumed by things you can get out by hand. Filter running 24/7 if possible.

Welp,
From what you describe and I can tell from the pic.
It looks like you may have either some metal staining or some calcium scaling or some organic staining or a combination of all 3. Here is how to check.
For metal - Put a Vitamin C pill in a sock or by hand place in directly on the stain until the pill dissolves or for 10 mins. Whichever comes first. If the stain lightens, its metal.
If it is organic caused by lots of leaves for a long time... put a Chlorine puck on it for 10mins or so and rub it around. If the stain lightens, its organic and maintainig FC 30 percent above recommended for a few days should get it. - You will also need to brush that area.. a lot.
If neither of the above works, its most likely calcium staining.

Do you have your test kit yet? If you do, wait till the FC is down under 10, and post a full set of test results. Ph, CH and ALK levels all contribute to calcium scaling if they arent balanced properly.

the parameters before i slamed on Tuesday were as follows
FC 7
PH 7.5
TA 90
CH 425
CYA 55

everything seemed pretty good CH is a little high.
I tried both a puck and vitamin c and neither seemed to effect the discoloring. So im not sure what it could be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.