First (and Second) Test Results with TF-100, Doing OK?

rterickson

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2014
Turlock, CA
I have the dubious honor of having been both pool serviced and pool stored.

I terminated my chemicals-only service a month ago, on the occasion of my third mustard algae bloom of 2014 (I keep the pool running year 'round). From what I've learned in the past month, I'm convinced that they basically just kept the TC between 1 and 3 ppm, and I'm further convinced that I have had chronic mustard algae issues for the past 3 years without knowing it (what I thought was sand on the steps, yellow/brown Polaris wheels and skimmer corners). But luckily the last thing they did was shock with lots of chlorine, so all I had to do was keep a closer eye on things and run the filter more.

Before I found TFP, or course, I dropped three bills on tri-clor, shock, test strips, and phos-free snake oil. I did use the phosphate remover one time, and it did result in the clearest water I've ever had. Otherwise, I only used about five 3" tabs, and now have a 10-year vacation supply.

I receive my test kit last week and did my first test Friday night.

pH 7.8
FC 6.0
CC 0.5
CH 500 first time, 375 second time
TA 90
CYA 100

I had a little trouble with the CH, the R-0010 wanted to come out in multiple drops or in a stream, I think it may be a little too fresh, like the R-0009 in the TA test?

I also measured the CH of my tap water because I recall hearing that it is typically high, and got 175.

Saturday I drained the pool to half, then refilled. Added a gallon of no-specs Arctic White bleach that I found on sale for 99 cents per gallon at Orchard Supply.

Did a basic K-1000 test this morning, pH looked darker than 7.8, so I added a pint of MA.

Tested again this afternoon:

pH 7.6
FC 3.0
CC 0
CH 275
TA 110
CYA 40

Added another gallon of bleach, and will follow up tomorrow.

I was particularly pleased to have had the CYA come down nicely, should I do anything about TA?

I followed the kit instructions for CH with 25 ppm per drop, would I be better off with the alternate instructions and 10 ppm per drop? Anything I should be doing about CH (other than getting more repeatable results)?

Thanks,
Randy

Welcome, Randy! :wave:

TA will come down by itself if you keep the pH adjusted. If you find yourself adding acid every day, then there are directions on aggressively lowering it. But wait and see - don't just lower it to hit some ideal number.

The kit directions for CH are for a 25 ml sample and each drop = 10 ppm. The alternate directions use a 10 ml sample and each drop is 25 ppm. So check yourself and make sure you used the right factor. That test requires a LOT of swirling. Sometimes an extra minute of swirling will make purple go to blue with no additional drops. I use a speedstir, and it makes a huge difference. I regularly encounter CH in the 800 range, so I know a little about that test!

Your FC is a bit low, right at the minimum. Do something about that. By the way, OSH had a pretty good deal on pool chlorine a while ago... fresh stuff, new clean boxes still on pallets all shrink wrapped. Compare prices and concentration with the bleach.

What the pool store sucked out of your wallet is about what you'll spend the rest of the summer now!

Thank you Richard.

I double checked and the instructions with my TF-100 specified 10 ml sample, 25 ppm per drop. Probably the right approach for my levels. I did get the speed stir, can't imagine doing the tests without it. I will also slow down the process and focus on accuracy, thanks for the tip.

I'll also keep an eye on pH and adjust accordingly -- Left on its own it always seems to settle a little bit darker than the 7.8 color.

I did see the pool chlorine at OSH, and it was also fresh here, but I missed the good price. Probably easier than lugging around all the jugs of the cheap stuff though. Plus, I'm really not much of a Wallmart guy.

Thanks again!

Thank you Richard.

I double checked and the instructions with my TF-100 specified 10 ml sample, 25 ppm per drop. Probably the right approach for my levels. I did get the speed stir, can't imagine doing the tests without it. I will also slow down the process and focus on accuracy, thanks for the tip.

I'll also keep an eye on pH and adjust accordingly -- Left on its own it always seems to settle a little bit darker than the 7.8 color.

I did see the pool chlorine at OSH, and it was also fresh here, but I missed the good price. Probably easier than lugging around all the jugs of the cheap stuff though. Plus, I'm really not much of a Wallmart guy.

Thanks again!
I stand corrected. I just found out the new kits specify the 10 ml sample, which is a change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.