SHEETS of green algae

May 18, 2014
GA
I have a sheet of carpet-like green algae covering the bottom of my pool! It is disgusting with little bubbles. My water is CLEAR and one the sheets are lifted the bottom is clear. It is so strange! One pool guy I talked to said he's only seen it one other time in 31 years. I've been told the only thing I can do is slowly hand vacuum it up. What is the most cost and time efficient solution? I have a real mess on my hands. Thanks.

Welcome! :wave:

The best solution would be manual vacuuming with the multiport valve set on "waste." But that may not be possible; it depends on your equipment. Next best would be manual vacuuming and constant backwashing. You want to sneak up on the debris and let the vacuum pull it in ahead of itself, so it doesn't stir up so much. The more crud you can physically remove, the less you'll have to kill with bleach.

Then you'll need to SLAM the pool. That requires a special chlorine tester. It's mentioned in that article as one of the prerequisites.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.