New IG Gunite Pool - Finish This Week!

May 8, 2014
Boston-MA
Hello all,

Been reading as much as I can on this forum to prepare for the installation of our Pebble Tec and start-up of our new pool scheduled for this coming Wednesday! I have my TF-100 test kit in hand and have been through Pool School a bunch - so helpful and clearly presented!! I feel pretty confident now that I can manage my own pool chemistry and enjoy our pool for many years to come (with the forum's help of course!!).

We plan to fill the pool with "trucked in" water from a company the PB recommends. Besides having the test kit ready, are there any other preparations I should be doing ahead of the initial fill?

I have read the New Plaster Start-up topic so I have an idea what to expect and I assume my PB will go over their start-up reco and expectations for me regarding care of the water and Pebble Tec initially. Any special advice for a Pebble Tec vs. plain plaster pool?

Thanks so much - look forward to sharing my first set of test results and putting my learning into action!!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You have prepared yourself well! Pebble Tec and Plaster start up should be the same but always follow PB's directions to avoid any conflicts or warranty issues.

Thanks for the warm welcome - thought I'd post a before pic! Pebble tec comes tomorrow!!
y9a3uzy8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - Pebble Tec installed Wed, Acid Wash and tanker fill yesterday. First TF-100 test results about 6hrs after fill:
FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 7.2
CYA = 0
CH = 300
TA = 100
Temp = 58 deg
Water = perfectly clear

My PB is trying to schedule their start-up company to come out to the house to fire up the equipment, add the first dose of chems, and do some training for us but it's looking like that may have to wait until after the holiday, perhaps Tues or Wed next week. I have asked the PB to provide me some advice for the weekend in case they can't make it out today but haven't heard back yet.

Questions: Is it OK for the water to sit stagnant, untreated until then? From researching TFP, I understand algae will have a hard time growing below 60deg but it supposed to be above 75 and sunny over this long weekend and i'm sure the water temp will rise into the 60s. Should I just wait and follow only the PB direction or at least get the pump/filter running to circulate the water and do some daily brushing while watching the pH? My main concern other than not waiting for my PB, is I am unfamiliar with the in-floor cleaning system operation having never had one before - I don't want to do something that would damage my brand new equipment. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Pool Full Small.jpg

Was not able to get startup company to come out until Tues. PB told me not to worry about the water and not to do anything. Also said it was OK to swim this weekend - although at 58 deg would be a bit nippy!!

Been monitoring pH which has risen from 7.2 to 7.6 over two days. I assume it will be close to 8 by the time Tues rolls around and the system is started.

Water still crystal clear although random leaves and stuff are floating around - thinking I'll try to skim off as much as I can to keep stuff from sinking.

Any other thoughts or advice to get us through the weekend?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.