New pool owner with Purity % Question

Aug 5, 2012
I am a new pool owner. I built it last year and the builder maintained things the first year. Before the winter started I think he cranked my Purity % on my pool pilot pretty low. It's starting to warm up and my water temp is around 70 so I thought it was probably time to crank it back up. What percent should it be set to? Or is it variable based on my pool?

I am a new pool owner. I built it last year and the builder maintained things the first year. Before the winter started I think he cranked my Purity % on my pool pilot pretty low. It's starting to warm up and my water temp is around 70 so I thought it was probably time to crank it back up. What percent should it be set to? Or is it variable based on my pool?
To adjust the output, you just need to test the FC level and experiment. Set it where it was and test FC the next day. If it's too low, crank it up. If it's too high, lower it.

A more complete explanation is given here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/127-salt-water-chlorine-generators-swg

The desired percentage varies from pool to pool and seasonally. Basically you want to measure the FC level, if it is high then lower the %, if it is low then raise the %. The best time to measure FC levels for this purpose is late in the day after a sunny day.

Thanks for the tips. Just out of curiosity (since I don't remember what percentage it was at), does 30% seem like a typical purity setting? I was going to start there and then measure after it's been running for a while. I haven't added any stabilizer yet this year. Do I need to add the stabilizer first? I understand it has a pretty strong correlation with the amount of chlorine in the pool. It's not terribly hot here yet...mid 70s in the day and mid 50s at night.

Thanks for the tips. Just out of curiosity (since I don't remember what percentage it was at), does 30% seem like a typical purity setting? I was going to start there and then measure after it's been running for a while. I haven't added any stabilizer yet this year. Do I need to add the stabilizer first? I understand it has a pretty strong correlation with the amount of chlorine in the pool. It's not terribly hot here yet...mid 70s in the day and mid 50s at night.
You need to test the stabilizer level first. Some people lose all of it over the winter, but most people find it pretty close to what it was when they closed.

Never blindly add anything to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.