Pool circulation question regarding aiming returns

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
Good morning, I have a Kidney shape pool, 16 x 32, with 8 ft maybe 9 deep end. As many of you might know from other posts this is my first summer with this pool. The pool has the its main drain plugged. The 2 returns and the 1 skimmer are all on one side. I return is in the shallow end, the other return is at the mid point of pool with the skimmer in the deep end.

I have a question in what you would recommend for aiming returns. I had my returns pointed at surface of water and creating ripples around 3 ft out. After reading some other posts I changed it to have the shallow end return point mor downward almost parallel with top of water and to the end wall in the shallow end. I also aimed the mid point return down toward the center of deep end and a bit towards the deep end end wall.

Picturtes might help,

thoughts

This kind of thing tends to require some fiddling. You want one return pointed down towards the bottom of the deep end, as you mentioned, and you also want to see a consistent water movement on the surface carrying debris to the skimmer. Try out different things and see how you do.

One good way to check circulation is to empty a small bottle of food coloring into the water right next to a return jet and then watch to see how it circulates around the pool. You want to see the dye going everywhere in only a couple of minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.