Total Alkalinity = 100
Calcium Hardness = 150
CYA (stabilizer) = didn't measure
Free Chlorine = 2.5
Combined Chlorine = 0
Salt =
Temp = 79 degrees F

The pool looks clear with no algae ....

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ65 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

I added 8 lbs of stabilizer, so CYA should be near 30. My chlorine is at 2.5 with PH of 7.5. My CC is zero. My SWG is running at 70 percent. What should my free chlorine target be? Why does FC need to be increased with CYA? My pool is clear and at 82 degrees.

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

Target FC is around 3 for the SWG. CYA will bind chlorine and make less free chlorine available for killing algae and bacteria. The benefits of running the CYA around 70 with a SWG is less UV degradation of chlorine, allowing the SWG lifespan to be extended.

With a SWG, what should my FC be with 30 CYA? PH=7.5, CC=.5 or less, FC=2.5. Thanks

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

With a SWG, what should my FC be with 30 CYA? PH=7.5, CC=.5 or less, FC=2.5. Thanks

Bare minimum is 2, you should target more like 4. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Tip: When things heat up and that pool starts getting used, your SWG might not be able to keep up with the demand with only 30 CYA.

I plan on adding CYA to 60 since I have a SWG and full sun. Then I will maintain my FC at 4. Will my SWG keep up with the scenario above? Does CYA make water cloudy? Will that scenario make my CC increase above 0.5? Thanks!

I plan on adding CYA to 60 since I have a SWG and full sun. Then I will maintain my FC at 4. Will my SWG keep up with the scenario above? Does CYA make water cloudy? Will that scenario make my CC increase above 0.5? Thanks!
If it's properly sized and running long enough, you should have no problem maintaining 4 FC at 60 CYA. That's why you test. If it can't keep up, you increase the percentage. If it starts getting too high, you lower it. Every pool has its own personality. You'll just have to learn yours over time.

CYA will not cloud the water. You might see a little right around the sock, but that's just superfine particles that haven't dissolved 100% It will go away.

CC is dependent on what gets in the pool. A bunch of sweaty people jumping in will spike it. One kid taking a leak will push it sky high. If you maintain enough FC, it will take care of it in a day. .5 or less CC counts as zero. Stop worrying so much. My pool is sparkling, but sometimes I show CC for a week, and then it miraculously goes away for a few days, and then it comes back for a day, then it disappears for weeks. No rhyme or reason to it.

Thanks!

One more question...my PB said to run my pump and SWG continuously around the clock. He said "either pay for chemicals or electric." Thoughts? Should I use a timer?

One more question...my PB said to run my pump and SWG continuously around the clock. He said "either pay for chemicals or electric." Thoughts? Should I use a timer?
He's full of it. Overfiltering doesn't hurt anything but your wallet, and he's not paying, so of course he'll recommmend that.

The filter strains out particles. Period. If they were algae or something, they'd still be in the water, just out of sight inside the filter. Whether the stuff is lying on the floor of the pool or stuck in the filter, it's still in your system. The same amount of chemicals are needed to kill it.

The key is to run your filter just enough to keep the water clean and keep the chemicals mixed. How long is by experimenting. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

I get by on 3 hours a day, plus whatever extra when I'm vacuuming. Yours will no doubt be different.

If you cut the run time in half, you'll need to double the SWG percentage so it generates enough.

Right now, you're at the point of learning by doing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again. I'm thinking I need a timer added. Any recommendations? Also how do I join TFPs?

Thanks again. I'm thinking I need a timer added. Any recommendations? Also how do I join TFPs?
Intermatic mechanical timers are nearly indestructable and have dominated the pool market for years. I have no experience with any of the newer digital ones. Someone who is more familiar with the electrical codes will have to recommend which model, since there's a SWG involved. Mine just turns the pump on and off. My setup is primitive and simple.

Joining is easy

Unfortunately we seeded and strawed the yard around the pool...let's just say the pool isn't as clear as it was...here are my numbers:

PH (Taylor k-1000) = 7.8
Chlorine (Taylor k-1000) = na
Total Alkalinity = 90
Calcium Hardness = 110
CYA (stabilizer) = 23
Free Chlorine = 2.5
Combined Chlorine = 0.0
Total Chlorine = 2.5
Salt = ok
Temp = 80 degrees F

I have vacuumed all the dirt and straw, but the pool still appears somewhat cloudy. I added a jug of bleach to raise the chlorine level and left the pump running. Any other suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.