Overwinter CSI management

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
This is heading way out into the deep end, but I think it's relevant because we're in the middle of the springtime openers.

Assuming you close the pool properly in the fall, how much do you need to worry about CSI and pH over the winter? How much of the pH change over the winter is due to the change in temperature and not due to a change in the underlying water characteristics? Does a very positive or very negative CSI have the same effect in very cold water as it does in warm water?

I'm noticing that with no chemical changes and no aeration, my pH is rising as the temperature rises.

The whole reason I ask is that we get many questions about adjusting pH over the winter and pouring acid under a cover. Is any of that even necessary? My get reaction is no, but I'd like some science to back it up.

The CSI should remain essentially constant over the winter on it's own. The PH will go up as the temperature goes down, more or less canceling out any changes. The only significant exception is when fresh plaster is applied in the fall. In that case the plaster will still cure a little over the winter (not much) and that may require monitoring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.