Liner Issue....To partial drain or not to drain?

Jul 11, 2013
Wichita, KS
We have a 18 X 36 in ground liner pool. When it was installed last summer, the builder forget to place the beads on the back of the liner into the base of the top step of the stadium seating entry (the steps run the entire width of the pool - 3 steps total). Those beads snap into the top step along the wall and keep the liner flush against the wall. As such, the liner on the shallow end entry is not flush against the wall. That is where people enter the pool and I'll feel that eventually someone will put a hole in the liner. I'd venture to say that the liner is only about an inch from being in the perfect position.

Please note that our soil drains very well (very sandy soil - if you dig down about 6 inches, the soil is very sandy). Also, the base of the pool is vermiculite with metal walls.

He has recommended to drain the pool in the shallow end to about 3 inches, so he can pull the liner back enough to snap the liner into the step.

Is there anything that I should worried about happening to the liner? What are the possible unintended consequences to doing a partial drain?

Personally, I want the pool in the condition that it should have been. But I don't want to risk even more problems if that is possible.

Thanks in advance!

I should note that in the two corners of the top step, the liner is flush against the wall. However, as you move towards the middle it becomes less and less flush. In the middle of the top step, going down to the bottom step, it is about 2 inches from where the liner should be.

Give the builder the opportunity to make it right. The only real danger is if there is a high water table and the liner floats, but your builder should know how to fix it if that happens, or if the pool is partially drained and sits in the summer sun without water for weeks.

He is planning on doing it tomorrow. The high will be about 65 to 70 degrees, and we will be refilling the pool the same day.

I am not sure how high our water table is (our back yard is next to a small river...but our house and back yard sits well above the the top of the river to the point that we are not considered a flood zone), but due to the type of soil, our water drains extremely well. I want to say that our neighbor just put in a well and he hit water at about 50 to 75 feet. I'd have to double check to be sure. We have lived in this house for over a year and the only time our sump pump in our house has ran is when we had several inches of rain last summer. The sump pump in dry about 99 percent of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I will say that we have had a couple of inches of rain over the last few days if that makes a difference in anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.