Green water in the pool

rezasaba said:
My last test was at 9:00 pm I will test and brush again in the morning when i get home , That is my daily routin now :wave:
Is there life beyond pools? Not sure what happened to mine. You sound so much like myself. I live, breathe, and forget to eat because of that tub of water. Do you have pics you can post?? We love pics here.

austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
My last test was at 9:00 pm I will test and brush again in the morning when i get home , That is my daily routin now :wave:
Is there life beyond pools? Not sure what happened to mine. You sound so much like myself. I live, breathe, and forget to eat because of that tub of water. Do you have pics you can post?? We love pics here.

Ditto. How about some pics? :mrgreen:

austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
I will post a picture if i can fig. out how to do it so any help in this area will be much appriciated .

rezasaba said:
austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
I will post a picture if i can fig. out how to do it so any help in this area will be much appriciated .
Download them into photobucket.com and then copy the IMG code in your message. You'll see when you go there. It's easy. I didn't know how either until Joyce told me.

Thanks Joyce!

Not sure what happend to my last post but here is my latest results using my newly arrived TF100 test kit:
TH=190
TC=6.5
FC=5.5
PH=7.4
TA=130
CYA=50
water temp was 78 F air temp was 85
test time was 7:00 pm Thursday night

For mild comparasson at 7:00 pm I took a test also using the Aquacheck sticks and the results were
TH=200
TC=5
FC=3
PH=6.8 to 7.0
TA=80
CYA=100
Note : water color is very very light green and Cloudy .
I added 3 gallons of bleach and Brushed the pool noticed geen cloud as the brush was moving forward on the bottom of the pool , indicating film of algee , much less than few days ago .
question about the test FT100 , The Alka test was asking me to add drops until the liquid turns red .. so i am not sure what tint of red is the test looking for ??
the other question is The CYA test on the Aquacheck sticks .. i have a hard time to match the colors on the stick to the color chart ? any suggestion ?
please review my results and comment Thanx .

Hi there...the IMG code will be on your uploaded pics at Photobucket.com they will give you about three choices of codes, the IMG code is the one you want to cut and paste in to your posting here.

The CYA test....check out this link

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

And that should help you figure out if you're doing it correctly.

The TA test - my TA test is a dark teal greenish color and turns like a magenta pink, not a true "red".

I don't like test strips.....

Keep shocking! Now that you have the FAS-DPD test, you can test your chlorine precisely, after you've shocked according to the pool calculator for dosage. Then test again in the morning and if your FC holds overnight or you've lost less than 1ppm you have killed the algae and need to let the filter clear the dead stuff. Keep shocking!!! :goodjob:

Hi , how are my other #s ? i am little confused , i should test the water then figure out what amount of bleach to add if needed ? Thanx I try to post a picture of the pool should have done a before and after ,, so we just settle for the AFTER :lol:

rezasaba said:
Hi , how are my other #s ? i am little confused , i should test the water then figure out what amount of bleach to add if needed ?

Yes, but only test for FC & CC.

Your other numbes are fine. If you need to do any tweaking, it can be done after your pool is cleared.

Have you read "Defeating Algae" in Pool School? It explains in detail what you need to do. There is a link to Pool School at the top of each page in the sub-heading and a link in my sig.

Thanx I try to post a picture of the pool should have done a before and after ,, so we just settle for the AFTER :lol:

We're waiting for the pic :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rezasaba said:
Hi ,what is the IMG code ? also i just posted some #s form my first trial of the test kit feel free to comment, Thanx .

When you download your photos in photobucket, you'll see the IMG code under the photo. You'll want to copy that code in your reply post here at TFP.

Opps, didn't read down far enough where frustratedpoolmom already said this. silly me! :mrgreen:

austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
Hi ,what is the IMG code ? also i just posted some #s form my first trial of the test kit feel free to comment, Thanx .

When you download your photos in photobucket, you'll see the IMG code under the photo. You'll want to copy that code in your reply post here at TFP.

Opps, didn't read down far enough where frustratedpoolmom already said this. silly me! :mrgreen:
hi iam not good at this picture thing i got to wait for my wife or doughter to do it , where does the picture comes to any way here in the forum or on the main home page ?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, what Joyce said. Test for FC and CC and then add bleach if needed, your other numbers are fine for now :-D (this is a good thing!).... :goodjob:
hi again here my new #s from Fridau morning at 7:00 am
test kit TF100
FC=10 , CC=0.5 , TC =10.5 , PH=7.4 , TA=140 , CYA= 58

I added 3 gallons of bleach to bring it up to 20 ppm then brushed it again . color of water is better Clearer then yesterday ,I think I am 95% there , the only thing is
CYA test eats up alot of the reagent there are 2 bottles in the kit I already used half a bottle !!!!
I also added some more water to the pool maybe 300 to 400 gallons , I fig. i need to lower the TA and also lower the CYA I think they should give a bit more reagent for the CYA test. as I brushed i still see some algee film in the pool . Pump is running 24/7 . I need to get a cleaner robaotic one i hope i get some feedbacks about it , i only got two responds to my earlier threat . I was on google looking at lots of them and i am now confused. :wave:

rezasaba said:
austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:

hi iam not good at this picture thing i got to wait for my wife or doughter to do it , where does the picture comes to any way here in the forum or on the main home page ?

Post it here in this thread... there is another thread called "show off your pool" or something like that, and those are the pics that end up in the slideshow. So take a pic that "shows off your pool" and post that on the other thread. :mrgreen:

rezasaba said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, what Joyce said. Test for FC and CC and then add bleach if needed, your other numbers are fine for now :-D (this is a good thing!).... :goodjob:
test kit TF100

I added 3 gallons of bleach to bring it up to 20 ppm then brushed it again . color of water is better Clearer then yesterday ,I think I am 95% there , the only thing is
CYA test eats up alot of the reagent there are 2 bottles in the kit I already used half a bottle !!!!
I also added some more water to the pool maybe 300 to 400 gallons , I fig. i need to lower the TA and also lower the CYA I think they should give a bit more reagent for the CYA test. as I brushed i still see some algee film in the pool . Pump is running 24/7 . I need to get a cleaner robaotic one i hope i get some feedbacks about it , i only got two responds to my earlier threat . I was on google looking at lots of them and i am now confused. :wave:

Your CYA is fine, it's on the high side, but don't bother testing it for awhile. IT's not something that needs testing very often, unless you are adjusting it.

Adding water to your pool doesn't change the cya, really, replacing water does. So when you say you added it, did you drain some first?

You raised chlorine to 20 which is good, when did you test for that 20ppm? Was that a "target" or a "test result"? The reason I ask if you tested and got 20ppm, say last night, and then this morning it was at 10, with a CC of .5 and you still see algae, then you still have algae present consuming your chlorine rather rapidly. If this is the case then you need to raise that chlorine back to 20-23 and TEST to make sure you reached that target, cause if you came up short with the bleach, you need to add MORE. Does that make sense? You have to test to Know you reached your shock level.

Your TA is fine for now, don't worry about that, you can always lower it later unless it gives you problems like PH drifting up. Your numbers (except chlorine) look good!

Okay I hope this all makes sense, feel free to post questions if you aren't sure about what I said. :-D

jjparrish said:
rezasaba said:
Hi , how are my other #s ? i am little confused , i should test the water then figure out what amount of bleach to add if needed ?

Yes, but only test for FC & CC.

Your other numbes are fine. If you need to do any tweaking, it can be done after your pool is cleared.

Have you read "Defeating Algae" in Pool School? It explains in detail what you need to do. There is a link to Pool School at the top of each page in the sub-heading and a link in my sig.

Thanx I try to post a picture of the pool should have done a before and after ,, so we just settle for the AFTER :lol:

We're waiting for the pic :p
hi I did read the algee thing i raed it again cause my brain is so bleachiii i can not retain much LOL did ya see my # from this morning? :lol:

frustratedpoolmom said:
rezasaba said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
test kit TF100

Your CYA is fine, it's on the high side, but don't bother testing it for awhile. IT's not something that needs testing very often, unless you are adjusting it.

Adding water to your pool doesn't change the cya, really, replacing water does. So when you say you added it, did you drain some first?

You raised chlorine to 20 which is good, when did you test for that 20ppm? Was that a "target" or a "test result"? The reason I ask if you tested and got 20ppm, say last night, and then this morning it was at 10, with a CC of .5 and you still see algae, then you still have algae present consuming your chlorine rather rapidly. If this is the case then you need to raise that chlorine back to 20-23 and TEST to make sure you reached that target, cause if you came up short with the bleach, you need to add MORE. Does that make sense? You have to test to Know you reached your shock level.

Your TA is fine for now, don't worry about that, you can always lower it later unless it gives you problems like PH drifting up. Your numbers (except chlorine) look good!

Okay I hope this all makes sense, feel free to post questions if you aren't sure about what I said. :-D
Hi again I just added water due to my backwashing of the filter i fig. i add some water .
the test results i just posted are from this morning the calculator indicated to raise the FC to 20ppm as it was corrolating with the 50 CYA from the table . my FC this morning was 10 I just found out my pool holds 19000 Gallons called the manufacturer i was shorting myself by 1500 gallons .

Not sure what happend to my last post but here is my latest results using my newly arrived TF100 test kit:
TH=190
TC=6.5
FC=5.5
PH=7.4
TA=130
CYA=50
water temp was 78 F air temp was 85
test time was 7:00 pm Thursday night

For mild comparasson at 7:00 pm I took a test also using the Aquacheck sticks and the results were
TH=200
TC=5
FC=3
PH=6.8 to 7.0
TA=80
CYA=100
Note : water color is very very light green and Cloudy .
I added 3 gallons of bleach and Brushed the pool noticed geen cloud as the brush was moving forward on the bottom of the pool , indicating film of algee , much less than few days ago .
question about the test FT100 , The Alka test was asking me to add drops until the liquid turns red .. so i am not sure what tint of red is the test looking for ??
the other question is The CYA test on the Aquacheck sticks .. i have a hard time to match the colors on the stick to the color chart ? any suggestion ?
please review my results and comment Thanx .

Frustratedmom these results are from last night as you see my FC was5.5 then I added 3 gallons to bring up to 20ppm and this morning had gone down to 10 ppm the algee were faesting through the night LOL .

LOL The algae was having a pool party.....hehehehehe

Okay, then you still have shocking to do! Keep shocking until your water is clear, your CC is .5 or less, and your FC holds overnight. To make sure it's accurate, add the bleach to shock after sunset, wait an hour and retest. If your bleach addition did not reach your shock level of 20, then add more and retest. In the morning compare the tests. If you FC did not drop overnight, then you are done shocking, the algae is dead and the filtering should clear the pool. Once you have acheived that you can let the chlorine drift down to your normal target of 4-5. But youre not there yet. So keep that chlorine up to 20 making as many additions as you need to, even during the day if someone's home that can add it. That will speed up the process.

Okay, CYA. Backwashing the filter and adding water to replace the water loss will reduce your CYA very gradually over time, so you can test your CYA level again in a month or so, depends on how often you backwash your filter.

When you go to order refills on the CYA reagent from Duraleigh consider ordering a refill of the FAS-DPD test (save money on shipping charges that way). (IMHO the test kit should come with double the reagents for both tests....hope I don't offend anyone with that remark :oops: ).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.