Pentair MiniMax NT 300 Water Leakage

Jul 19, 2013
Hi Guys,
Excuse the naive question but I have a MiniMax NT 300 (natural gas) pool heater manufactured in 12/05. Not sure when it was installed as we moved into this house 3 years back.
When I run the pump, there is drip sound and water leakage on the return manifold side. Since that side of the heater is against the wall (and the back of the heater), I only have free access from the front and from the intake/out manifold side. Since I suspect the leakage in either the heat-exchanger or the right manifold, I am trying to go in from the top. So chimney is off and the top plastic cover is off. That is where I am stuck as after removing the 8 sheet-metal screws from the top, I am not able to remove the flue collector. Is it something as simple as removing more fasteners (I do not see anything visually)? Or do I have to remove the water manifolds first? Or is this thing not going to come out?
Pool guy refused to service the equipment as he says get a new one as this is already end of life (7-10 years max). I want to save some dough and possibly save it from landfill if it is as simple as fixing a leak. It has worked flawlessly over the last three years. What is hard to tell is that we had a leaky pump too and it was never clear if the water is coming from pump or heater in the equipment shed. It only became apparent yesterday when I replaced the pump. Now there are no leaks from the pump, just the heater. Even now the heater fires up just fine but I suspect that will last long with all the water damaging the guts of it.
Thanks for all your help.
Nirdesh

Last edited:
The stack is caulked in place and requires a pry bar to get it off. Most times it then becomes somewhat damaged. I wouldn't suggest removing it. If you have the sides off and don't see an obvious leak around where the header is bolted to the manifold, then the leak is most likely in the heat exchanger. At that point you are better off getting a new unit.

Yes about 7-10 years is the life span of a unit. Beyond that you are living on borrowed time.

Thanks Paul.
So new unit that is. Our pool is ~38,000 gallons. We are in Pacific North-West (20 miles northeast of Seattle). No spa or anything else. I will search the forum for recommendations on new gas fired heater. Unless some gentle soul has a quick answer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.