So glad I didn't give up!!! TFP, all the way!

Now we've gone and done it!

These things tend to happen when you use things from the pool store. Your going to have to let the filter and vacuuming clear the stuff out.
Can you post a set of test results for us to take a look at ? ?

Re: Should I just give up? Can

I have merged your posts. Keep your posts together so responders can see your "story"

Your setback will be short lived. Stay on track with the advice you get here and do not listen to pool store advice. Having two "chiefs" is problematic as well..

Think of it as getting better, not worse. You are finding things that have needed fixing for a long time and are getting them up to speed. You'll get there.

Should I just give up? Can

With a CC of 2 you need to SLAM. What does the water look like ? Any visible algae ? What test kit are you using ? I wouldn't add anything till you get rid of the CC. A CC of 0.5-0 is what you want.

I have the TF 100 test kit, the water does have visible stuff floating in it. Not sure what it is, and by slam it you mean? I read and read and read ... but am still confused!

- - - Updated - - -

Why is CC not in pool math? I'm not sure what to do or not do, what should I add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

With your numbers you've still got something growing somewhere in your water. Only worry about the FC and CC tests for now. Keep your FC (chlorine) level above 16 at all times. By doing this you will kill off any organics (algae) faster than they can grow. Test and raise the FC level above 16 hourly if at all possible.

Can you post another photo of your water?

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind pool math will only tell you what you need to add to reach the levels YOU enter. It's not telling you what you must have. Change the target field for different goals as needed.

CC is not listed as it's bad. If you have anything above 0.5ppm.......something's growing.

CC is "combined chlorine". When that gets down to between .5 and 0 then you're home free. That's your goal. As it gets lower that means you are killing the algae. Free chlorine (FC - good stuff) plus combined chlorine (CC - bad stuff) equals total chlorine (TC). It took me a while to get it straight but once I did, it clicked for me.

CC is Combined Chlorine. To put in an understandable description... think of it as a spent bullet. It has attacked algae and in the process, become "spent" and no longer effective.

if you measure CC in your testing, and the results are greater than .5, then even though the water may be clear, there is something in it (most likely algae) that the chlorine is attacking.

This is why everyone suggests to SLAM if CC is .5 or more.

So, its not in pool math beacuse it isnt something that can raised or lowered by adding some chemical. You must eliminate the algae in the pool completely to lower the CC.

I have the TF 100 test kit, the water does have visible stuff floating in it. Not sure what it is, and by slam it you mean? I read and read and read ... but am still confused!

- - - Updated - - -

Why is CC not in pool math? I'm not sure what to do or not do, what should I add?

Yes. You want your FC to 16 -18. Use pool math to figure out how much bleach to add. Test as often as you can, every hour or two and bring the FC back up if needed. Run your pump the whole time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.