Opened the pool up. Green and swampy.

Should I be running our robot during this time? I read the algae thread that says to scrub the walls and what not, but I want sure if it was safe for the robot with FC and CC that high

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

O really. **** I thought you wanted that in there to protect the FC.

Kk I will remove them this afternoon. I found a few ammonia threads I am going to read up on.

Thanks guys!

From what I've read, that's the safest route to minimize chance of creating more ammonia. In the early part of the process the FC should be consumed really fast by the ammonia, before the sun breaks it down. Best to add your bleach in the evening and hope for cloudy days to reduce loss to sun. Once you're holding some moderate levels of FC, then put the socks back in.

Any experts with more direct experience, feel free to correct anything that might be off the mark.

If you hit the ammonia hard you can eradicate it in a matter of 4 hours or so - so having the CYA in there right now isn't essential - especially if you start late afternoon and add the chlorine like every 20-30 minutes...by sunset you should make substantial progress... if its starts to get dark just bring your sample test indoors. You can keep adding the chlorine as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not run the robot

Ran home at lunch.

FC 2
CC 5

I had added bleach to 12ppm about 5hrs earlier.

Will add bleach again and check later today.

Took the CYA out per @beens suggestion. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Until you've eliminated the ammonia, that cya you're adding could also be converted to more ammonia.
I don't think the forum has any experience with NEW CYA being converted to ammonia.....if so, I do not remember the discussion.

The important premise to focus on is keeping the FC up @ 12 ppm regardless.

Should I get the vacuum out and suck up all of the algae this evening if possible? I would assume vacuuming would be better than brushing.

I will do the every 20 mins approach this evening.

thanks!

I don't think the forum has any experience with NEW CYA being converted to ammonia.....if so, I do not remember the discussion.

The important premise to focus on is keeping the FC up @ 12 ppm regardless.

I reread where it was suggested I delay adding CYA until after eliminating ammonia and I misinterpreted. Not adding CYA was to more quickly deal with the ammonia (because none of the FC would be bound to new CYA), then worry about CYA later and not because of the risk of new CYA being converted.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.