Pond in my backyard

Put the stabilizer in a nylon knee high. Tie a knot in the knee high. Hang it over the edge by the return and put something for weight on the end of it to hold it there. If it's not long enough tie a piece of string to it and then put the weight on the end of string.

BethLynne you can also fill a sock with CYA and tie it to the handle of an empty bleach bottle and let it float in the pool. Give the sock a squeeze when you can reach it. Picture of one in use.

Let us know how it is going.

Progress is going well. Haven't tested cya lately but I did add one sock full and 1 gallon of chlorine.
Here's a photo from today- http://flic.kr/p/no3vUX

We've been working at vacuuming out the algae from the bottom of the pool, but we have this really weird layer of red and green hard substance. See photo. It won't scrub off with a brush. I'm wondering if we may end up emptying the pool to have it resurface and painted.
Can i get rid of this?

http://flic.kr/p/no3udk

What wonderful progress you have made!

Can you feel the substance? Can you "pick" it off with your fingernails?

You do NOT want to paint the pool. If/when you resurface it that will be all you need to do. Paint just does not hold up.

Okay, here's an update on my pool. This is what it looks like-
IMG_0191.JPG
Took a sample of water to the local pool store, just in case I was doing it wrong.

Here are my numbers-
FC- 4
CC- 4
pH- 7.4
Calcium hardness- 120
CYA- 30
Total alkalinity- 90
Total dissolved solids- 600
Phosphates- 200

So, what they told me is that phosphates are high, which feed algae, so that needs to be lowered.

My biggest concern now is the staining and pitting on the sides of the pool- see pic-
IMG_0198.jpg

It isn't iron because I tried to pick it off and I also used a vitamin C tablet. That did nothing.

I'm thinking that the only way we will ever get rid of the pitting and staining is to empty the pool and have it resurfaced.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Beth

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I can't really tell if the pool should be white or green. The sides seem like they have some kind of color. I really can't tell because of all the staining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BethLynne, either follow the TFPC in Pool School or use the pool store. Using both is going to send you into a hissy and you're going to bang your head off the walk way. You can't do both. Which would you prefer to follow?

As far as your pitting and staining, it is more than likely organic and can be remedied with a higher chlorine level for a period of time followed up with daily brushing. Phosphates mean absolutely nothing and are a BIG MONEY MAKER for the pool stores.

I definitely prefer to pull from the knowledge on this site, but no one offered any answers regarding the staining. I just need to know what to do. I can do more chlorine.

Give it time on the staining. It could also be calcium scale ... which is also a time thing. Get your chemistry in line, learn the pool and hang tight. Odds are keeping the chemistry in line for a couple of months will take care of it.

One way to look at this whole process is like college classes. Right now you are in pool 101, once you get the hang of things it will be time to move on to 201 and talk about testing the stains to see what they are (Vit C, a little direct application of MA, etc.) then a course of action can be determined. If it is scaling there are a few options, one requires a lot of patience (like a year) and monitoring your CSI (Calcium Saturation Index), the others aren't cheap (resurface or acid wash). Lots of knowledge around here and lots of folks that will help, just don't try to get too far ahead of yourself.

Welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.