Just opened, chemistry readings coming soon - I'm gonna need some help. :)

Ok, things are going in the right direction. First, FC held today. I didn't add any bleach, and it actually climbed a bit. Up to 2.5.

And salt. Whoa. Yeah, those test strips are just junk. With the K-1766 salt test kit, I got 3200ppm. On my display for my SWG, 3100ppm. Test strips, 400ppm. LOL!

Just took a set of readings for today:

Date: 4/23/14
FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA <20
Salt 3200

For CYA, the mixture is cloudy, and getting there, but I was off the chart (top of the tube) and could still see the dot. It's only been 2.5 days since adding the 4 pounds though. But the FC is holding now, or the SWG is keeping up with demand. I'll wait out the CYA for a few more days though, but I have to believe I'll need to add more.

A question though - when I added it, I just slowly poured it in the skimmer. I didn't love the idea of that. Pool School and some other posters mention putting it in a "sock" in the skimmer basket. Is this a purpose made "sock", or do they mean just a random old gym sock? :) I assume the former.

Thanks.

Thanks. I just read in another thread where they said to tie it so it floats in front of a return line. That seems harder to get right than the skimmer basket. Although I wondered about all the flakes just getting stuck on the filter. But I guess the water still passes over it and dissolves it...

Looking at my numbers though, if it were warmer, that's very swimmable water though right? CYA doesn't affect water safety or anything, just chlorine protection right?

You'd think it would be difficult, but once you mess with it a little bit, it's really not that hard. Without too much work, you can find an equilibrium so that it sits in the return stream.

Looking at my numbers though, if it were warmer, that's very swimmable water though right? CYA doesn't affect water safety or anything, just chlorine protection right?

Yes and yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just tested again. Added cyanuric acid on Monday morning. So almost 5 days.

Date: 4/25/14
FC 2
CC 0.5
TC 2.5
pH 7.6
TA 150
CH 80
CYA <20
Salt 3000

CYA hasn't come up much, just a little (cloudy water for test). But FC is stable since Tuesday. Either SWG is replenishing fast enough, or there is enough CYA to hold it together. Should I do an overnight Chlorine loss test?

And my understanding, is what till Monday again, before adding more cyanuric acid? TA jumped a bit too.

Lastly, there is some haziness in the water now, that I can really only see when the light is on at night. I do have construction going on around the pool though (the patio is being built), so it could be that...but thoughts on that?

Thoughts? Thanks all!

The haziness could well be from the construction/wind/life. If the pool looks good/clean/sparkly during the day you are set. I am going to guess that most pools will show some stuff in the water with the light on.

It was hard to say, cause I couldn't tell what my reading was. I just know it was less than 20. So I thought I'd start with 4 lbs so I didn't risk going over. I do another FC test tonight and add bleach as needed.
4lbs will only increase your cya by 20ppm. Eventually, you'll need 80ppm so another 4 lbs won't get you even close to that, but it will give you a measurable amount then slowly add to get it where you want it. use the return, tie your stock to a brick which will hold it in place. Squeeze it now and then to help it dissolve.

That's what I figured. I'll add another 4 lbs today when the rain lets up.

does the sock full of cyanuric acid float somewhat, or want to sink? I'm thinking I just don't want the sock resting against the liner if it gets out the stream of the return jet.

My patio isn't done yet either, so that brick up on the deck will likely be in the way, and not on proper footing (it's just the paver base now). If I'm ok with running the pump, is it any less effective adding to skimmer?

- - - Updated - - -

The haziness could well be from the construction/wind/life. If the pool looks good/clean/sparkly during the day you are set. I am going to guess that most pools will show some stuff in the water with the light on.

Thanks. I was wondering if something like floc might help get that stuff. Once it filters through the DE filter though, I would imagine it would slowly clear up.

Thanks guys. I think this time, I'm going to put the stuff in a sock in the skimmer basket. The deck of the pool just is a mess right now as they finish it. So for the sock in the basket, it's just an old white gym sock right, knotted at the top and stuffed into the basket?

Thanks guys. I think this time, I'm going to put the stuff in a sock in the skimmer basket. The deck of the pool just is a mess right now as they finish it. So for the sock in the basket, it's just an old white gym sock right, knotted at the top and stuffed into the basket?
As long as the pump is on 24/7 and you don't restrict the flow, that will work. Another alternative is to tie it to a floating toy or an empty bleach jug and just let it bob around.

The socks I used were about mid calf and I tied the top with some trimmer nylon string I had. Each sock held about 2 lbs of cya. I have three usable returns. Richards floating suggestions will work, but take a lot longer to dissolve.

The socks I used were about mid calf and I tied the top with some trimmer nylon string I had. Each sock held about 2 lbs of cya. I have three usable returns. Richards floating suggestions will work, but take a lot longer to dissolve.
You didn't think to take any pictures, did you? It seems like the sock method generates way too much confusion. Maybe a picture will save a thousand words worth of typing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.