Proud owner of a glorious swamp!

If you want a simple easy to use way to get a good pool water sample out without touching the water yourself--> use a piece of 1/2 or so PVC like a pipette. I have a piece that's about 3 feet long that I use. I just thumb over the top end before putting it into the water, then release my thumb and the water displaces the air inside and I again cover the top end to "hold onto" my sample water as I remove the pvc tube and drop my sample into a big plastic cup. Just like you do with a soda straw, y'know?

If you want a simple easy to use way to get a good pool water sample out without touching the water yourself--> use a piece of 1/2 or so PVC like a pipette. I have a piece that's about 3 feet long that I use. I just thumb over the top end before putting it into the water, then release my thumb and the water displaces the air inside and I again cover the top end to "hold onto" my sample water as I remove the pvc tube and drop my sample into a big plastic cup. Just like you do with a soda straw, y'know?

That's my method too!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

11 hours in. FC:1, CC:2. The FC is so low! Is it possible somebody put Tang in my bleach bottles instead of bleach? I'd hate to leave it for the evening at such a low level.

I just thumb over the top end before putting it into the water, then release my thumb and the water displaces the air inside and I again cover the top end to "hold onto" my sample water as I remove the pvc tube and drop my sample into a big plastic cup. Just like you do with a soda straw, y'know?

That would work. I currently have a plastic bottle tied to a broom. :)

Yeah? So? I'm backwashing in the dark. What of it?

pool-night-backwash1.jpg

pool-night-backwash2.jpg

And here's my fancy water sample collector. Get it in stores, now!

pool-broom-collector.jpg

It could be that the cheap bleach is only 3%. Sometimes they will have the percentage on the bottle and sometimes not. I would keep an eye on the bottles to make sure you're getting at least 6%! You're moving along on the SLAM. And I have to agree that the skimmer water is absolutely discusting! I'd wear gloves too! :lol:

It could be that the cheap bleach is only 3%.
I might think that was the case too, but the bottles I'm using show 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite.

Get that chlorine up, keep it high
I'm trying! :) I've been using PoolMath to dose it. Last dose was 4 jugs @ 121oz, I don't know how it's eating it so fast. The surface has become foamy. The previous owner clearly used algaecide, maybe this is the result?

I think I'm done for the night, we'll see where it is in the morning and attack it with renewed vigor, which also sounds like a BioGuard product. ;)

Well, it could be old or sat in the sun before it was put on the shelves. You never know.

Day 2 0 Hour FC:0.5 CC:1.0

Good morning! The pool is a light yellow-green color, almost the color of bleach. There is a dearth of residual chlorine remaining. Gunk has formed into little piles of nasty flotsam, which I suppose makes it easier to scoop.

pool-d2h0-1.jpg

pool-d2h0-2.jpg

The filter pressure gauge read no change overnight, which strikes me as nuts. I checked the skimmer basket and while it's not full, the walls of the basket are plastered with pollen, leaves and gunk. The basket has no handle, so I have to remove it by pushing outward against the sides and lifting. This has been getting harder to do, as it seems to be stuck in there with a suction. Is it possible this skimmer basket doesn't fit my skimmer properly? Or is the suction a response to the pollen clogging up all the holes in the basket?

pool-d2h0-skimmer.jpg

Tossing in four jugs. Time for more raking and brushing, then headed out to look for more bleach.

Well, it could be old or sat in the sun before it was put on the shelves. You never know.

Fair point. Is there a way to test the concentration of a jug of bleach without diluting a sample of it 10,000 times?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 2 - 1 hour - FC:4.0 CC:1.5

You might try stretching a knee-high stocking across the skimmer basket. It makes cleaning it easier, and it catches a lot of stuff before it gets to the filter.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58581-Skimmer-Sock-Nylon-Illustrated

That's an interesting idea. I'll look into it.

I also need a new leaf rake head. There was a mass of leaves stuck to the bottom of the deep end, so I kept working it blindly with the rake. The rake caught on something and ripped in two places. :(

As for it sticking.... it could be suction. Does it lift easier when the pump is off?

It lifted out okay this time. I'll try it next time it's sticking.

Shopping list:
- Leaf rake head
- Skimmer Sock/Nylons
- Skimmer basket
- Ever greater amounts of bleach

keep working at it mine is getting better will have to post pics soon. Mine was like a giant cup of black coffee. Lots of leaves and debris left from previous owners and no cover and not being open for a couple of years

The dog jumped into the pool again. This time the deep end. He looked less confident about making his way back to the stairs so I gave him a heave ho. And THIS, my friends, is why we always keep a harness on Mugsy. :)

Day 2 - hour 3.5 - FC:1.5 CC:1.5 - From the right angle the pool is looking almost cyan. Almost.

pool-d2h3.jpg

Replaced the rake. Bought some nylons. Thanks to user Beens, I visited an Ollie's and picked up 10 bottles of 10% bleach for $2.99/gal. That's all they had. I went to a Dollar Tree nearby to pick up another 12 bottles of the regular stuff. About 34 gallons used up. I've gotten a few strange looks; only once did a salesperson ask, and he was dutifully moved by my answer. "That's crazy, I didn't know bleach was the same as liquid chlorine!"

pool-d2h3-bleach.jpg

They had only 10 gallons of liquid chlorine, but they had an entire aisle of algaecide. Okaaay.

pool-d2h3-algaecide.jpg

Hi I just started SLAMing 2 days ago. I am a new pool owner (new to TFPC of course). My 25,000 gal pool was not opened in 2 years (covered but surrounded by many trees with an abundance of reproductive organs that slough off direclty around my pool). It was also previously owned by the least responsible homeowners you could imagine. Up to now I have added 8 bottles of 12.5 % "shock" that were acquired directly from a pool store. (even pool people around here don't know "liquid chlorine" as "liquid chlorine") FINALLY FC is up to 14 this morning. (CYA levels below 30, not sure how much below). Although my pool still looks green, yours already looks way better. Thanks for you post as a reference. I will follow it, and maybe try to create one to follow my own progress.

Day 2 - Hour 4.5 - FC 6.5 CC:1.0 - 40 gal added

FC is still low, but a little more respectable. I added the 10% chlorine. I wonder if the different bleach source made the difference, or if I'm turning a corner? Time will tell! Still, I'm not even half way to FC:22. Water is looking better - the skimmer was not super clogged, the pressure gauge is still near baseline PSI, and there weren't a lot of floaties on the surface.

Hi I just started SLAMing 2 days ago. I am a new pool owner (new to TFPC of course). My 25,000 gal pool was not opened in 2 years (covered but surrounded by many trees with an abundance of reproductive organs that slough off direclty around my pool). It was also previously owned by the least responsible homeowners you could imagine. Up to now I have added 8 bottles of 12.5 % "shock" that were acquired directly from a pool store. (even pool people around here don't know "liquid chlorine" as "liquid chlorine") FINALLY FC is up to 14 this morning. (CYA levels below 30, not sure how much below). Although my pool still looks green, yours already looks way better. Thanks for you post as a reference. I will follow it, and maybe try to create one to follow my own progress.

I'm also new to pool ownership, but I had a few weeks before moving into the house to read Pool School and find answers to my questions. My pool is kind of like a cauldron of chlorine right now. :) I've considered adding "shock" because my calcium measurement (260) is lower than my target (300) but it's still in range so I decided not to mess with it for now. Nice job getting the FC to 14, but you may want to get CYA to 30 if you want to see more progress. You need to blind rake and vacuum, as those organics will slow down your progress. If you start your own thread (and add pictures, THEY CRAVE PICTURES) I'm sure you'll get some good advice from people more knowledgable than me. Good luck!

They had only 10 gallons of liquid chlorine, but they had an entire aisle of algaecide. Okaaay.

$19.99 for algaecide, $2.99 for bleach, both equally heavy & bulky. Guess we know why they like selling algaecide and don't like selling bleach ;)

Proof that an alligator lives at the bottom of my pool. See those two rips? Puh-roof!

Not a small one either, by the distance between those rips. Good thing you bought some more chlorine.

The FC/CYA table has a separate column for mustard algae, wonder which column you use for alligators ?

Day 2 - Hour 6 - FC:9.0 CC:0.5

Okay okay, numbers are getting nicer. I did some more blind raking and found the motherlode down there in the murky deep. I feel like I'm playing Battleship! When you hit a pile, there's a little more right next to it, but which way... right here, on the diagonal. Sorry, that's Connect 4.

pool-d2h6.jpg

I can almost see another step. Or it's a mirage in this South Carolina heat.

pool-d2h6-stairs.jpg

And what exactly is happening to my dipper stick? Something dark is crusting over it. Is it detecting alligators, or just merely an "undefined, evil presence?" If the latter, do I measure it in "parts-per-minion" and look it up on the Evil Presence Chart in the back of the booklet?

pool-d2h6-dipper.jpg

The FC/CYA table has a separate column for mustard algae, wonder which column you use for alligators ?

These are things we need to know!

The dpd powder makes the spoon get darker. I think it's worse if it's wet. Creeps me out so I don't get mine wet. I sort of tap it out of the spoon. Whatever little coating is left is still crusty brown though.

It even discolors the little compartment the spoon sits in. It seems to be normal because I even saw it in a picture from one of our very own experts. (Was a picture of how their kit was setup but what I noticed was the brown from the spoon lol)

*edit* hey! my booklet didn't come with an Evil Presence Chart. I was ripped off! ;-)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.