Liquidator and Chlorine/CYA Chart

Well, after about 8-9 weeks into my accidental experiment, my LQ is keeping a clear pool running about 1-1.5ppm FC with a CYA of 60ppm.

I inadvertently allowed my LQ to run out of chlorine for about 4 days a few weeks ago so I had an algae bloom that I had to address and just got my pool back algae-free for the last 10 days or so. Naturally, it sorta messed up my data so I am more or less starting over but intend to maintain this FC level of 1 - 2ppm for the rest of the summer.

It seems to me........

1. That I had VERY little "cushion" when I ran out of FC and the algae bloomed very quickly. This leads me to think that if you choose to run FC at reduced levels, the slightest interruption in those levels may result in an algae bloom.

2. That the even distribution of Cl throughout the day (with a pump timer) is a clear deterrent to algae and a much better way of keeping sanitizer in your pool than manually dosing.

3. LQ has some issues (mainly WS) that still make it less than perfect. All methods of chlorine introduction into the pool have some drawbacks. I'm hoping that the LQ's problems can be refined to a point that will make it a no brainer but I don't think it's quite there yet. As Jason said several posts ago, the CSI inside the LQ has to be w-a-a-ay off the charts allowing Calcium to precipitate onto the float valves interferring with their operation. If the WS issue can be resolved or minimized (I'm cleaning mine every 3-4 weeks ) it seems to me the liquidator can be a complete success.

duraleigh said:
Well, after about 8-9 weeks into my accidental experiment, my LQ is keeping a clear pool running about 1-1.5ppm FC with a CYA of 60ppm.

I inadvertently allowed my LQ to run out of chlorine for about 4 days a few weeks ago so I had an algae bloom that I had to address and just got my pool back algae-free for the last 10 days or so. Naturally, it sorta messed up my data so I am more or less starting over but intend to maintain this FC level of 1 - 2ppm for the rest of the summer.

It seems to me........

1. That I had VERY little "cushion" when I ran out of FC and the algae bloomed very quickly. This leads me to think that if you choose to run FC at reduced levels, the slightest interruption in those levels may result in an algae bloom.

2. That the even distribution of Cl throughout the day (with a pump timer) is a clear deterrent to algae and a much better way of keeping sanitizer in your pool than manually dosing.

You certainly have important data, and now there's only one way to tell if the LQ can indeed run low FC levels as if it were an SWG:
Do a control experiment. Run your pool without it for a couple of weeks, maintaining FC of 1 -2 manually and see what happens.
If you don't have algae then it's not the "LQ effect". I've met many pool owners
who ran their pool with trichlor and traditional 5 ppm or so shocking like "everybody else" and they have never had a problem.

Dave,

I have been running mine at similar levels to yours for two seasons now.

FC 3-4ish
CC 0
PH 7.5
ALK 80
CYA 30
CH -100 haven't tested in a bit.
Salt 2700-3000ppm

I also noticed that if I let the LQ run out it only takes a day or two for a full on algae bloom. Bad idea! :) My pool seems to keep stable at a flow of about 2.

keithw said:
Dave,

I have been running mine at similar levels to yours for two seasons now.

FC 3-4ish
CC 0
PH 7.5
ALK 80
CYA 30
CH -100 haven't tested in a bit.
Salt 2700-3000ppm

I also noticed that if I let the LQ run out it only takes a day or two for a full on algae bloom. Bad idea! :) My pool seems to keep stable at a flow of about 2.
Maybe you have a lot of sun and you may be better off by increasing your CYA to 40 or 50.

duraleigh said:

3. LQ has some issues (mainly WS) that still make it less than perfect. All methods of chlorine introduction into the pool have some drawbacks. I'm hoping that the LQ's problems can be refined to a point that will make it a no brainer but I don't think it's quite there yet. As Jason said several posts ago, the CSI inside the LQ has to be w-a-a-ay off the charts allowing Calcium to precipitate onto the float valves interferring with their operation. If the WS issue can be resolved or minimized (I'm cleaning mine every 3-4 weeks ) it seems to me the liquidator can be a complete success.

#2 is the reasons I bought the LQ to begin with. I add 182 oz twice a week to the LQ and just monitor the system. No interactions on my part is required. Before a swim party, I run up the FC a point or two then let the LQ control the decent. Besides, no more chlorine on my clothes, body or coping. The sanitizer and acid are introduced to my pool at the equipment pad vs. pool side. I really like that.

#3 you hit on a general point. The LQ was not designed or sold to be maintenance free. I just re-read the LQ's manual, it does clearly state that some maintenance is required. Also some approaches to scaling that might happen inside of the tank. I don’t recall seeing anyone discussing the TDS as a possible factor but the manual does speak to it. (I know the thought process on meaning of TDS.) I am going to resist the urge to clean out the bottom of my LQ until the swim season is over. I want to see how much salts are collected. : )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.