Just replaced filters, now very low pressure

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
Just installed 4 new cartridges in my Hayward C3025 and after putting everything back together, I noticed two things:

1) The pump strainer basket is not completely filled with water. It's probably a good 2-3 inches from the top and the splashes aren't even touching the top of the lid

2) The pressure is reading between 2 and 3 psi.

The return lines have a pretty good flow of water coming out (more than when the old cartridges were in there).

Is this normal or is something else going on? Thank you.

Did you close the bleed valve on your filter after replacing your cartridges? Something is wrong if you are not priming properly. I am sure someone with more experience will weigh in and offer more detailed knowledge but I know something is wrong if your pump strainer is not filling completely. Good luck and wait for some detailed help from the pros on here.

Did you close the bleed valve on your filter after replacing your cartridges? Something is wrong if you are not priming properly. I am sure someone with more experience will weigh in and offer more detailed knowledge but I know something is wrong if your pump strainer is not filling completely. Good luck and wait for some detailed help from the pros on here.

Yeah, I sure did. I know it's always filled completely after each time I cleaned the cartridges in the past so I am pretty confused since I have brand new cartridges in there.

Is the lid on your pump strainer on tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, very tight. I just noticed there's a small drip coming from the joint on the metal band that wraps around the filter. I've had the toughest time getting that to seal over the years. My process (not sure if it's right) is to tighten the bolt, hit on the band with a rubber mallet, and repeat about 4 or 5 times. I torque it down to 150 inch pounds. I just looked at the manual and it says not to hit the clamp with a hammer so maybe I shouldn't be doing that!

UPDATE: Just went back out there and the leak is not coming from the band. It was no longer leaking, but then I turned the bleed valve open and as soon as I closed it, water started coming out of it and going down the outside of the filter housing and dripping from the band. I stayed out there for about 5 mins and the water was still coming out of that valve on top.

You have a suction side air leak that is causing your psi to be low and the air showing up in the pump strainer basket. It is not from the filter. The filter is a separate issue......solve them one at a time.

There is an article in Pool School about suction leaks that may help.

It makes be a bit nervous when you say your lid is on "Very tight". The suction from the pump should make that seal and the lid itself should never have to be much more than snug for the system to work properly. If you are having to make that lid really tight, I would look to the 0-ring as a source of the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.