Inspecting a pool without removing the cover

Mar 19, 2014
Oxford, MS
I'm buying a house with an in ground vinyl pool from HUD. It's a foreclosure. They won't let me remove the pool cover before purchasing the house, they don't want the liability of someone drowning, there's no getting around it. There are, however, a few small holes in the "cover", which is essentially a bunch of treated lumber framed over the pool wrapped in 10mil plastic with metal wire mesh above it. But I can see enough to see that the pool is full, up to where I'd assume the skimmers are, maybe above, we get a lot of rain.

I called a local pool company to see if they could come inspect what they could, and the guy I talked to was the one who last replaced the liner, 2 years ago. He said it has a sand bottom and that the PO didn't do a very good job of keeping it clean. I've had a couple of non-pool people come by and say that the equipment looks good, the pump appear to have been replaced recently. There's also an aux pump. No equipment or chemicals, no diving board top.

The utility company is cutting power on tomorrow, and I'll have the pool contractor out there at 8:00. Is he going to be able to tell me much with the pool completely covered? What questions should I ask him? What pictures should I take for y'all? I purchased a K-2006 test kit, but I don't know how helpful that's going to be at this point. I've tried to read as much as I can in the past couple of weeks since I found the site, but I'd love someone to tell me I'm not completely crazy buying a house with a pool I can't fully inspect, and give me some pointers on what to look out for while I've got power (no water can be turned on either, by the way)

Here's some pictures...

V9vdYWM.jpg

Tuh5xzB.jpg

FAwqLO3.jpg

I5HPr6i.jpg

y9yZ8ct.jpg

7rfaYc0.jpg

2lspOar.jpg

A8dandN.jpg

g8uDgR4.jpg

01oBUn9.jpg

1ECxAJN.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would suggest you wait until PB gives you a report.

None of us can be on site so it would be difficult to predict how much help he will be.....probably a lot.

Why don't you post back after you meet with him and ask a few specific questions here on the forum that can be more readily answered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.