Chlorine floater- all the way open?

tigerucla

LifeTime Supporter
Hi All. Going on vacation for a week and have read many threads here. CYA is at 35, so I'm planning on bringing it up to shock level with LC and putting a floater in. (We don't have a cover.) I have two questions.

How many 3" pucks do you think I should put in?

And should the floater be open all the way?

Having never used a floater, I have no idea how long the pucks last. Ideally, I'd like to see the last bits of the pucks in the floater when we get back.

Thanks!

According to PoolMath, each 8 oz tablet will add about 1.8ppm of CYA ... so even 4 will only add a 7.4ppm and since you are lucky your CYA is not too high already, you will still be within the recommended range.

Your plan is about the best you can do ... good luck.

​​​It's probably too late for the OP but in case anyone else is looking at this.... last time I was in Wally World, they had some slow release pucks (really more like stubby sticks) that said they could go in a skimmer and last for a couple weeks.... I got a couple to have on hand to use when we go on vacation later this year. I tried one in a floater just to see how it dissolved and it was definitely much slower than normal pucks. Seemed like it would dissolve more evenly, too. I took it out after a couple days cause I don't need it yet... I liked that it never seemed mushy or like it was gonna fall apart. Hardened right back up as it dried.I think 2 sticks will fit in our floater at a time and will hopefully keep the fc up, so I won't have to worry.
I'll just have to retest my cya when I get back to see if I need to drain a bit and refill, but it doubt it will be a problem...?

For anyone reading this thread, here is what happened for me. I put 5 pucks (all that would fit without breaking them up) into the floater (vents all the way open) and enough liquid chlorine (192 oz) to bring the FC up to 14 right before we left. When we got back a week later, FC was at 4, but only about 30% of each puck had dissolved. Now it's two weeks since we left, and there's still about 30% of each puck left. They are dissolving much slower than I had guessed they would.

I've been running our VS pump 1 hr/day on high and 7 hr/day on low. I'm guessing if I were to run the pump more, they might dissolve quicker.

I don't think the floater would have kept our FC high enough for two weeks. I've added 3/4 gallon 12% LC over this past week to supplement the pucks.

Maybe next time, I will try breaking the pucks in half so I can put more of them in the floater and to see if they will dissolve quicker.

That has been my experience. The floater doesn't allow the pucks to dissolve fast enough for vacation purposes. I tried tying it off in front of a jet as well.
I resort to leaving the pump running and put them in the skimmer, if I have to use pucks for vacation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.