Pump speed to get baseline

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Probably a silly question but is there a particular pump speed I should run my VS pump to establish a baseline pressure for backwashing. I would assume the only thing I need to do is make sure my measurements are always on the same speed.

The lower the RPM, the lower the PSI and the harder it is to see a change (and less accurate) so you are better off using a higher RPM if possible. But since you have an In-floor, that shouldn't be an issue because that probably needs fairly higher RPM anyway.

Yes, 3000 would be a better reference than 1500. Clean the filter when the pressure rises about 25%.

As compared to what?

The filter pressure is related to the flow rate through the filter and all the plumbing post filter.

Well I guess I just feel that my pump pressure is always higher than what I read on here from other posters. It's currently at reading at 28 with 3000 rpm and it probably isn't much higher than it's baseline pressure. Even after long backwashes, cleaned baskets, it doesn't get much lower. I'm guessing my system is just been constructed to where I will have a higher psi?

That pressure could be completely normal for your pool plumbing which is different for every pool. But In-floor cleaners can create fairly high pressure which is why they are so energy inefficient. Can you bypass the in-floor cleaner and then post the pressure?

That may be the only way. Not all pools with in-floors can bypass to standard returns. What kind of water feature is it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.