New pool Start-up

Mar 20, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I am getting very nervous as my new pool near completion, water going in next week 4/10/14I have been to Pool School 2x. I am a owner/ builder and have so far conquered the design, building, issues with subcontractor, tear out and rebuild. Always Always check their work and do your homework. If I would not have corrected the problem before the finish went in, it would of been a costly mistake for me down the road. I am responsible for the Start-up and am a bit confused. They have provided me with the instructions for the start-up of a Pebblesheen pool, but they do not take into account of using the BBB method. I am instructed to 1. add one gallon of Chlorine or 2-3 tablets in the skimmer basket 2. Add 1pint of Muriatic Acid each day for the 1st 7 days. How far apart to add them, since I read do not add them at the same time or no more than 1qt Chlorine (%? assuming Liquid PoolStore chlorine12%) and 1 pt of Acid at the same time? Also, is it best to use the tablets during the 1st week since they have some CYA in them?

It also says I am to maintain a temporary balance with water chemistry as a complete balance is not possible without stabilizer then add 6-8 pounds of stabilizer to the pool after all residue is filtered out(does not pertain to PebbleTec) I understand to add slowly a little at a time a week apart until balanced. But if it does not apply to Pebble, then when do I start to add the CYA? and how much?

I am also confused on what my goal CYA level should be. I live in Phoenix, but my pool is shaded in the afternoon, at least currently. Should it be 30-50 or 70-80? Do I start with 30-50 then see how much Chlorine I am using and if too high adjust to 70-80?

so many questions, I just want to try to start off on the right foot and not too many folks even know of this method other than my neighbor, but he has never started up a pool.

FYI I have the recommended test kit even practiced on my tap water :)
thank you for your help and patience with this newbie

14k ga IG Pebblesheen, Pentair Triton Sand Filter, Pentair VSP 3HP A&A InFloor Cleaning

Welcome to TFP! :handwave:

If your builder gave you specific start-up instructions, I would follow those mainly to keep your warranty intact. Usually, these procedures are time-boxed (e.g., 30 days or so). After their start-up timeframe expires, then you can switch to another procedure if needed. This articles describes several start-up procedures: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster

As for the CYA, I would start at somewhere between 30-50 ppm and see how that works. It is much easier to add CYA than it is to reduce it if it goes too high.

Welcome to TFP!

First, it is often best to follow the instructions of the plaster company exactly, rather than doing something that make sense, because you don't want to endanger your warranty coverage.

We recommend starting up a new plaster pool with trichlor tablets for the first three or four weeks. Trichlor contains chlorine and CYA and lowers PH, all three of which are useful for a new plaster startup.

The goal with adding acid regularly is normally to maintain the PH between 7.2 and 8.0, although there is one fairly rare startup technique that works another way. I am assuming their 1 pint of acid each day is designed to maintain the PH in that range. As the plaster cures it will raise the PH very quickly, and also raise TA and CH levels more slowly for the first three or four weeks. If you don't stay on top of the PH rise, and keep PH in range, you can get calcium scaling. PH increases continue for up to a year at a lower rate.

When using bleach, it is best not to raise CYA over 60 or so. I recommend getting CYA up to around 50 (after the initial startup period), and seeing how things go for a couple of weeks. Then if needed raise CYA a little more to 60 and see how that goes. I don't recommend going straight to anything higher than 60. After a couple of months of getting used to things you can think about the pros and cons of raising CYA higher.

Thank you. Does it matter what kind of Trichlor tablets I should use and should I place them in a floater or in the skimmer? I read something about putting the CYA in a sock in the skimmer. If so, then is it best to use the floater for the Trichlor tablets during this time?
I am completely responsible for startup and their instructions are minimal, and they do not mention anything about start-up affecting warranty but I am sure they will give me something, despite my asking for it ahead of time, that will talk about warranty since it has a 10yr. warranty.
Last question, at least for now, I was told the kids and dogs could go in the water as soon as it was full since it is Pebble. Is this true? I have a huge Baja shelf that the only way to keep the dogs out of is ban them from the backyard, as far a the kids they are older and better listeners but I am sure will be tempted to take a walk in it. Should I ban them both or keep it to a minimum.
thank you again
Also, how do I keep my signature line so I do not have to keep retyping it.
14k ga IG Pebblesheen, Pentair Triton Sand Filter, Pentair VSP 3HP A&A InFloor Cleaning fill date 4/10/14

Trichlor tablets are pretty much the same regardless of brand. Avoid the ones that say double or triple acting as they have additives you don't want, but they are usually rare. Tablets are generally put in the skimmers during startup, this requires that the pump be running 24/7, but you generally want that anyway.

Some companies will go to great lengths to get out of providing warranty coverage. Hopefully yours is not like that, but it is always best to follow their guidance so they don't have any excuse to deny coverage.

Swimming is possible any time the water is clear, FC levels are "normal", and there is no visible algae. The general rule is to not swim for the first 24 hours, but many people do anyway. For the first few days, FC levels normal means trichlor in the skimmers, pump running, and no visible problems, since you won't be able to actually measure the FC level just at first.

Signatures are set on the Settings page, see the link under the Pool School button on any page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.