Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid Magic

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid Magic

I saw this advertised in my True Value weekly flyer. It says it works the same as plain ol' muriatic acid, but is not as "dangerous".

Any users or comments?

http://www.certol.com/AcidMagicHome.ASPX
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid Magic

As the owner of a True Value Hardware store as well as a new pool owner, I am interested in the experts opinion of this product. I have used it exclusively in my new pool this spring......it looks to me like it works just like regular muratic acid.

That being said, I am interested in hearing from Waterbear, Jasonlion or one of the other experts!!
    18'x38' IG Vinyl Lined, 29,000 Gallon, Goldline controls, SWCG, Coverstar Auto Cover.

3. Back To Top    #3

How does it compare price wise to regular acid?
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In my store, I have the Acid Magic priced 50 cents above regular muratic. We still sell more regular muratic acid, but the gap is narrowing each year.
    18'x38' IG Vinyl Lined, 29,000 Gallon, Goldline controls, SWCG, Coverstar Auto Cover.

5. Back To Top    #5

I looked at the MSDS, and it indicates the primary ingredient is still Hydrochloric Acid, so I don't know what's different about it. I guess we'll have to wait on somebody who understands the chemistry to fill us in.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

They have added something to suppress most of the fumes you usually get with muriatic acid. That part works as advertised. Several of their other claims are true of regular muriatic acid as well, so a little misleading. I don't know what they added or what long term effects it might have on the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

According to this fact sheet they have buffered the acid in such a way that it can increase inorganic phosphates (aka orthophosphates). So be careful when using this acid in the pool. Though phosphates should not matter, the amount could accumulate enough to cause calcium phosphate scaling especially in high CH environments. Also, if your pool was low in phosphates before, then the increased phosphates will make the pool grow algae faster if you let the FC/CYA ratio get too low.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"