Disappearing water

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
We moved into our new house in late September and closed the above ground pool in October. Pumped water level down below the return and covered it with a solid tarp like cover. A few weeks ago I checked the water level when I changed a seal around the return that was worn out and the level was essentially where we left it in October. 2 weeks later today the cover blew partially off in a storm and when I went out to fix it I found the pool water down another 18 inches or more from where it was a few weeks ago. My first thought was it magically sprung a leak? The only other thing I can think of is that we do partially pump the water that had accumulated on top of the pool cover off. Is it possible that there was water exchanging from the pool to on top of the cover and we were pumping water from the pool?!? If so how do we keep from doing that next time?

Also, the prior owners said they refilled the pool for summer using the well water. Is it going to be possible to still fill it from the well now since it is so low? Probably 18" below the return.

You might have a leak in the pool. It isn't all that common, but it does happen.

It is also possible that you have a leak in the pool cover, which allowed pool water to get on top of the cover, where it was then pumped out. This is still fairly rare, but a bit more likely than a pool leak.

Finally, it may be that something related to the cover blowing off allowed pool water to get to the cover pump.

I don't kmow gpm of well.

I have confirmed water is seeping from pool to on top of cover. I was planning on opening the pool in about 3 weeks but am wondering if we could go ahead and take the winter cover off and let rain water help fill the pool over the next few weeks in addition to slow water additions from well. When I added water from well last night I saw an increase in the amount of water on top of the winter cover so I'm not sure how well we will be able to fill it with the cover on.

As long as the water is below 50 degrees, removing the cover should be fine. As the water rises above that temperature the odds of getting algae go up quickly. Of course even getting algae is not all that bad, and that is about the only bad thing that might happen with the cover off.

That depends on the water temperature. If the water is above 50 degrees, or you see any sign of algae, adding some chlorine is a good idea.

If you add chlorine with the pump off, the best approach is to pour it slowly around the edge of the pool and then brush the pool to mix it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.