Lost Water / Leak? / Floating Liner... HELP!!

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I am down at least a foot ..... but i do have water underneath the ice.

Any chance it could be from evaporation?? I googled it and found one person who said he loses that much every winter and there is no leak once he fills it back up .... i know that is a longshot and i most likely have a leak.

Should i refill it and see if it drops down? Assuming it drops to the same level then that is where i start looking?

Would expansion of the ice potentially cause an issue?? I know it is tough to troubleshoot this stuff site unseen but i want to get started. We have rain and above freezing weather and i want to get started now.

Re: Lost a ton of water this winter.

Is it too thick to break a spot up ? ��

No .... but it seems like some of the edges are frozen solid to the liner ..... so i am worried about ripping the liner if i go under the block of ice with the hose and raise it.

I have about a foot of water in the shallow end so from what i have read that is enough ..... it also seems to have stopped dropping so i am hoping it isn't a main drain issue. I read online about issues with the ice having sharp edges and during a warm spell melting enough to move and the sharp edges tearing the liner. It actually mentioned a very widespread issue in the year 2000 where there was a swath of land from michigan to maine that had unusual weather and an abnormally large group of pools were damaged.

I'd sit still until all is melted. No reason to rush or panic. Carry on as normal and then you can do a bucket test (for leaks) once opened.

Thanks .... i think i will go that route ..... it seems like i am not losing any more water.

On the down side i pulled the cover back and my liner is floating up ..... so i will have some issues to address for sure.

Ours lost about 9" over the winter from late October to early March. We just bought the house so this is the first year with it. It hasnt seemed to really lose any for the last 3 weeks since we opened it. At least no amount that I wouldnt consider evaporation.

I had it covered during the winter, but we had a lot of wind over the winter that was able to get under the cover several times. There was also an inch or so of ice in it a few times.

Russ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nightmare over the winter ... what happened / what next?? Liner / Leak issues

Well i posted a couple of weeks ago about my water level dropping. I must have lost a foot or more and it seems like it was all during a couple week stretch when it first warmed up a little. Now that i have taken the cover off i have found my liner is floating up quite a bit. For the most part it is just the sides with one small part of the bottom floating.

Whatever leak there was appears to have stopped as the water level seems to be the same for a couple of weeks now. I read online about a situation with ice forming early and then a thaw with windy weather shifting the ice pack in the pool and causing sharp edges in the ice to tear the liner. That article mentioned that in the year 2000 or so that a stretch of the country from Wisconsin to Maine had an abnormally high rate of problems with torn liners.

Of course i could be 100 percent wrong!

Anyway i just pulled the cover off and i did notice a sharp piece of ice sticking through the cover. Here are some pics.

I have been reading about pumping out the water from behind the liner? The liner is in good shape overall and i would love to be able to fix this issue without replacing it. Can i do it myself? Should i hire a guy? Soon?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.