Split from this topic for further exploration in The Deep End. JasonLion
Has NOBODY told this poor person how to use a cheap test kit to test higher levels of chlorine?
It's no secret how to do it.
1) Make sure your test kit that uses OTO goes to 5ppm--(and 10 Bromine). You CAN do it with one that peaks at 3 but I think they are difficult and won't buy them.
2) Get a jug of STEAM DISTILLED water from your local supermarket.
3) Add one shot glass of pool water to a clean mixing cup.
4) Add two shots of distilled water.
5) Mix and test THIS mixture in your OTO kit.
6) Triple the results. If you get 3, it's 9ppm. If it's 5, it's 15pm.
7) If you STILL can't get a reading, repeat the process but use 3 shots of distilled and multiply by 4 instead of 3.
This will be good enough until you get the proper FAS-DPD chlorine test.
(PS: This is known as the CarlD "Patented" Shot Glass Method! )