Salt Purity?

Aug 4, 2013
Oklahoma
Hi,

We are working on the pool. Getting ready to install the CircuPool SI 45 Plus. I have noticed CircuPool requires salt to be 99% pure. I've been looking at salt where ever I am shopping this weekend. Sam's has Morton salt, it says it is for swimming pools with salt water systems($5.76/40 lb bag). Leslie's (I was there trying to get a new gasket for the pool light) has salt for pools($9.86/50 lb bag) WOW. I've looked over both bags and can't find purity information on either one. We asked the guy at Leslie's, if the supplier ever states the purity level and he said NO. Is this salt they are selling really good or bad? I don't know where to check next. Where else can a person buy half a pallet of salt? What do you guys out there do?

Any pool salt will do. But you can also use water softener salt which is usually much cheaper than pool salt. Just make sure you get the salt without any additives. Morton has pure water softener salt in the blue bags that is over 99% pure.

Pool salt is normally 99.5% pure. Solar salt sold for water softeners is also usually 99.5% pure. This is most certainly specified by the salt company, and usually labeled on each bag of salt as well (for either pool or water softener salt).

You can get both pool salt and softener salt at Lowes and Home depot too, prolly Sams and Costco, but I dont go to Sams or Costco, so I haven't actually laid eyes on it there. Lowes and HD have pallets of it. Walmart carries pool salt but its hit and miss on how much they have on the shelf.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.