Pool/spa return jet identification

Mar 7, 2014
San Francisco
I am new to pool ownership, and trying to get a handle on getting my newly purchased home/pool up to par. The pool is about 8 years old, and in need much maintenance. The return inlet on the side of the gunnite pool+spa is brittle and cracking, and in need of replacement. I have searched everywhere but unable to find an equivalent product. It appears to be a glued slip fitting around a piece of PVC pipe at the edge of the gunnite, with some sort of bolt/valve deep within. Most fittings I have found online seem to be threaded on the end at the edge of the gunnite. Was this correctly installed, what type of fitting is this, and any advice on how to replace it correctly?

pool_return.jpg
Thank you.

-Nick

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The spa is the think you see deep in the hole and should unscrew. But that is independent of the broken part. Usually the outside just unscrews, but it looks like your were slip fit and glued on? I am not sure how to fix that, but hopefully someone else has an idea.

Thanks for the information. Yeah it is just glued on. I may be able to replace with a threadded coupler on the end and then add a threaded fitting but im not sure the proper install.

1)is the coupler threads supposed to be recessed within the gunnite, or can the threads start at the edge of the gunnite?

2)what prevents water leakage between the gunnite and pipe? is the threaded fitting supposed to allow for some type of seal around the gunnite?

3)what type of fitting is on the JET? Can I unscrew the entire pipe from the JET and replace it with the proper plumbing?

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.