Stenner Pump in Freezing Temps

Sep 25, 2013
Dallas/Fort Worth
I just installed my stenner/pump combo a few weeks ago. I bought the 120 volt version and chose to install it (in terms of electrical) via an in-use plug that is wired to my timer, rather than cut the plug off and wiring it directly to the timer. I did this because I was under the impression that I shouldn't leave the pump out in freezing conditions (I wanted to be able to simply unplug the unit instead of having to mess with the wiring at the timer). Having said that, it appears that most people who purchase the 120 volt models simply cut the plug off and hard-wire them directly to their timers. I would think this would make it difficult to take the unit out of the elements when the temp drops. Do most people leave their pumps outside all year long, even in cold regions of the country?

The pump can be left out in the cold if you remove the feed tube (and empty the storage tank). Removal and replacement of the tube are both fairly easy, and many people replace the feed tube annually anyway. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with using a socket and bringing the whole pump inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.