Plaster Material

Jan 14, 2014
Richmond, TX
Our pool is nearing the finishing stage and we're nearing the stage where we need to finalize our interior finish. We originally selected just to-do a plaster finish but both my wife and I would really like to have some sort of color in an effort to modernize it and not make it look as dated. Our builder gave us a quote of about $3000 for a Quartz finish but we're really trying to keep costs to a minimum as to not over-improve on the house.

We've been looking into an option of adding some quartz aggregate into the white plaster finish to help achieve the desired color results (similar to BMORESWIM's project http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/53452-Pool-Build-Baltimore?p=489200&viewfull=1#post489200). Overall the desired result would be a light blue or a light gray finish just to modernize and not make the pool surface appear so bright white.

Has anyone done anything similar? If so, how successful was it? Did you have any issues with uneven color?

Would really appreciate your thoughts and input.

Thanks!

i-jDWcw8r-M.jpg
i-cj3ZLpd-M.jpg
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-CCs5V/i-jDWcw8r

Adding some quartz aggregate into a white plaster finish is exactly what your builder was quoting you, as that is a "quartz finish".

There will always be some color unevenness with quartz, though an experienced crew will be able to minimize the difference.

Quartz does cost more up front, but it generally pays for it's self in a better looking and longer lasting surface. Reviews on the forum are almost all positive, with the occasional complaint about uneven color.

Adding some quartz aggregate into a white plaster finish is exactly what your builder was quoting you, as that is a "quartz finish".

There will always be some color unevenness with quartz, though an experienced crew will be able to minimize the difference.

Quartz does cost more up front, but it generally pays for it's self in a better looking and longer lasting surface. Reviews on the forum are almost all positive, with the occasional complaint about uneven color.

Makes sense JasonLion, thanks!!!

I believe that is exactly what he was quoting me for - a Quartz finish. My other option was more of a hybrid between 'plaster' and the quartz option. As an example, using the following ratio of marble dust to white cement to diamondbrite quartz: 1 bag DB Onyx, 4 bags white cement, 7 bags marble dust per batch. BMORESWIM used this solution (it's actually his ratio) wanted to see if others have as well and what their experience was. Would value hearing if there is anyone else that has done this type of finish.

I've contemplated the exact same thing. I'm waiting to decide which route to go until I speak with the PB again. My thought was to add small amounts of blue quartz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.