Adequate pump and other newb questions

Feb 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello all. New member here and this is my first post.
We have decided to get an INTEX 18' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool Set w/ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System| 54957EG for this summer. It comes with a 1600 GPH saltwater sand filter combo pump. Is this sufficient or do I need to upgrade (and to what)?
It also comes with a hand held skimmer & vacuum, 52" ladder, debris cover, and a ground cloth. We'll be purchasing pool steps to use instead of the ladder, a solar cover, and a Gorilla pad. Should I get a heavy duty tarp to use instead of the provided ground cloth? What other upgrades should I consider?
I also read the tips on using Styrofoam sheets, and treated wood instead of pavers, but the rest is a foreign language to me. Please educate me and help me understand what I am doing!

Hi, welcome to TFP! The Intex sand filters usually are ok. It really depends on if there will be a lot of debris blown into your pool. If you get a lot of leaves in your yard you may want to consider modifications such as adding a through the wall skimmer, and a little larger pump such as a 3/4 or 1 hp 2 speed pump to give you enough power to be able to vacuum the pool efficiently.

The most important thing is to make sure the site is level and dig down to level it instead of building up an area with dirt and sand. After you level and before you put down the tarp spray the area well with nut grass killer. That will greatly reduce the likely hood of weeds coming up through the bottom of your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.