Winter algae accumulation removal

Jun 23, 2009
Columbia, SC
I'm hoping some of you faithful TFP's who read in the off season can help me out. As a result of lack of commitment to maintaining it, and the fact that the swim season was over, I lost my pool to green algae in October. I made the same mistake the previous year and was able to clear it in the spring with not too much effort so I told myself that I would handle it in the early spring again this year. In brief I've not put any chemicals in my uncovered pool since last October. It seems worse this year and while I know how to clear algae, I'm becoming concerned about the magnitude of it. I could start today and begin killing it but I'm going out of town next week for ten days and don't want to invest all the time and materials only to go out of town and not be able to keep my eye on it. I'll be out of town until mid March, so essentially it would have another three and a half weeks to continue growing unabated. I live in South Carolina and expect the daily highs to be somewhere between the low 60's to low 70's during that period. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Is there any strong argument for doing it immediately or can I wait until I get home in mid March? If I can wait, is there something I can do to prevent it from getting too much worse?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Not much really, unless you have someone at home base who can complete a SLAM process for you. As much as I hate to say it, you will likely be better off just waiting it out until you return. You can knock it out once you are back and we'll be here if you need any help. Good luck, and let us know how it goes when you do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.