Best submersible pump to keep pool level in check under cover?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have an ancient pump that I can drop into the pool to keep the level in check under my looploc mesh drain cover, but it takes hours to drop the level a couple of inches. Is there a good, high flow 115v pump I can leave in there? I'm wondering if I should get one with a built in float switch, then I can leave it on my steps at the right level (15" below deck edge), or just drop it in when needed. If it's always submerged, it shouldn't freeze up in cold temps either.

I love a good automatic cover pump, but none of them are perfect. I have had five or six brands now, and they all seem to last a year or maybe two before failing. I am currently using a Wayne WAPC250, which tends to fall over, and so stop being automatic and is also more prone to trip the GFI than others. I have had three Rule H53SP-24 which work wonderfully, but none has lasted more than a season. The Little Giant 5-APCP lasted two seasons, but can't be allowed to freeze and leaked oil into the water when it failed.

Update- I got the pump in and put it on the second step. The pool was full to the tile line again from all the snow we've had. With the 1 1/4" discharge hose, this thing rocks! Pool pumped down in a few hours. Now it's all automatic and I don't have to worry about the water level for the rest of the winter. I just hope it doesn't break from freezing....

I don't know if this will apply to your situation, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.

I have a similar Wayne pump (model VIP50), but I only used it when needed and kept it in the garage otherwise. I checked it a couple months ago and noticed that it was leaking oil. I'm using an SWG also and I'm guessing the small amount of salt caused something to rust. I thought I read that they recommend running fresh water through the pump if used in a salt water pool, but I can't find where I read it. Of course, I never flushed the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.