Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Burning Eyes?

1. Back To Top    #1

Burning Eyes?

Today after swimming for a little over an hour, my mom was complaining that her eyes were burning, and a little later that her hands were also burning(her hands are crackly/rough from bleach at her work). I nor my sister or her friend had burning skin and I never opened my eyes under water.

Here are my test results about 30 min after swimming.

Water Temp: 89 F (powered 100% by the sun. :P )

FC= 0
    CC= 0
    TC= 0
    pH= 7.1
    T/A= 160
    TH= 90 (total hardness)
    CYA= 60

This morning I tested and my FC and TC were the same, but they were low if that matters...

So, what do I need to do/add besides chlorine to get my water in tip-top sparkling condition? Also, how much chlorine do I need to add/what should my FC level be? Pool details are in my sig.

Also, what could be causing my moms burning eyes? It can't be chlorine, because there is non, so there must be something else?

TIA,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Burning Eyes?

Low ph can cause burning eyes, and 7.1 is kind of low

Use the pool calculator to figure out how much bleach to add, for your size pool.

You want your FC to be about 10% of your CYA level, which is 6

Randy
    20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, I'll check the calc. to see how much liquid chlorine to add(12% at the pool store was $3.00 per gal., so that's what we have).

Can I just aerate to raise my PH, or do I need to do something else? Will aerating screw anything else up?

TIA,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

4. Back To Top    #4

Aerating to raise your pH is just fine, and does not affect anything else... but you might want to lower your TA a little... read this pool school article on lowering your TA.

12% liquid chlorine is just fine to use, and is often less expensive that buying bleach at the store!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wait to adjust the pH until after you add the bleach, let it mix and retest. Bleach is very basic (13 or so) and may raise your pH as well as get cl in the pool.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman95
    Wait to adjust the pH until after you add the bleach, let it mix and retest. Bleach is very basic (13 or so) and may raise your pH as well as get cl in the pool.
    You are mostly right, but that could be misleading in some cases. You want to adjust the PH when the FC level is at it's normal day to day level, but not while shocking. Bleach will raise the PH right when you add it, but as the chlorine gets consumed the PH will come down again to where it started.

Because the FC level got down to zero it is probably a good idea to shock the pool, though it you catch it soon enough that may not be required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School