Need help finding a new pump and filter

Zurg

Jan 21, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi All,

Another new pump/filter post!

I have, what I believe to be, a 14-16k gallon in ground pool with a pump and filter of unknown age. The pump has been through two or three capacitors since moving in 18 months ago and the filter has developed holes in each grid. The filter's rubber seal/o-ring is also cracked and split and leaks quite a bit without copious amounts of marine lube. As such, I'm looking to replace both the pump and filter with something brand new. The problem is that I do not know what exactly I'm looking for.

An album of full sized pictures can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/1T0j3
Please note that the chlorinator has been disabled and that I do have a rock/water feature.

I am looking for a pump that is quiet and saves money. The two I have been looking at are:
Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump 011018
Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo

I like the variable speed feature but have been reading here on the forum that the cost will not justify itself. I also like the built in digital timer feature on the Pentair.

This is what I will be replacing:
IMG_1338_small.jpg

I also assume I will need new PVC joints/unions but not sure how got about that. Any direction here would be appreciated!

As far as the filter, I currently have a 48 sq ft DE filter. I would like to replace this with an updated filter of the same size. I'm looking at this filter currently: Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid 48-Square-Foot Vertical D.E. Pool Filter

I believe I will need a new slide valve as well: Hayward SP0410X502S Micro-Clear Slide Valve Assembly with 2-Inch Pipe

My power rates are as low as 6.92 cents off peak and as high as 21.09 cents on peak.

Essentially I would like to know what you all recommend for me and what exactly I need to do this replacement by myself.

Thanks for the help!

In case anyone missed it above, an album of the pool and current setup can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/1T0j3

Welcome to TFP!

Is there anything wrong with the pump? You could just get a new 2 speed motor for it.

I would also suggest considering a full multi valve instead of the push pull valve on the filter.

I can not see on my phone what pump you have to give a recommendation. Seems like the big VS might be overkill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.