Please help with my decision on a pump

Being that the AG pumps usually come with a cord to plug-in, it does look like there is an on/off switch and a speed selection switch built-in.
I would suggest looking for this one: SP15922S

- - - Updated - - -

It is on their site, I was just looking at it: https://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Above-Ground-Pumps-Power-Flo-Matrix_10201_10057_1016959_-1_400034__A.htm
Either the SP15922S or SP15932S

- - - Updated - - -

And I think we have MANY members that get these pumps as well.

I can find the 2 speed pumps if I search the model numbers... but they don't seem to be advertised directly on the site... and when I do find it by searching the model number...there is no picture with the description... makes me wonder if they are discontinued...or if there is a reason they are not advertising them directly. Also, the chart showing the GPM doesn't show the difference between high speed and low speed...which I would like to know to see which size will be most efficient for my set up. 27' above ground, (around 18000 G) Hayward 21" Pro Series Sand filter, with Hayward Aqua Trol SWG and heat pump.

The difference between the speeds is that the low speed is 1/2 that of the high speed. The number for real depends on various items such as plumbing size, bends, filter, and so forth. The SP15922S should be more than enough for your pool.

Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed is listed on Amazon as well with positive reviews. As Jason stated, this is a VERY VERY popular pump on the forum due to the 2speed feature. There is NO circuit board to go bad on this pump, just a switch as shown in The Manual.

Thank you...I have found good deals on Amazon and Ebay for this pump.... Still unsure of why the Hayward website isn't advertising them directly...I've got an email into Hayward now, waiting on their answer to this. Also, I've read through the manual and did not see anything specific about the switch for high and low speed...am I missing something?

On page 11 you'll see part number SPX1515Z1XE.............1HP Motor with switch. Most of the info in the manual is geared towards install, as there's not much to the working of the pump.

Reactions: bobodaclown
I don't understand what you are talking about advertising on the Hayward website??? The model numbers are listed right on the Power-Flo Matrix page :scratch:

OH, I see the problem. If you just go the Hayward site, you are a "Pool Owner" and it only shows 3 models. If you go to this link it takes you to the "Pool Professional" site which lists all the models. Apparently they do not think owners are smart enough to deal with so many choices. I found this link directly from Google:
https://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Ab...o-Matrix_10201_10057_1016959_-1_400034__A.htm

I don't understand what you are talking about advertising on the Hayward website??? The model numbers are listed right on the Power-Flo Matrix page :scratch:

OH, I see the problem. If you just go the Hayward site, you are a "Pool Owner" and it only shows 3 models. If you go to this link it takes you to the "Pool Professional" site which lists all the models. Apparently they do not think owners are smart enough to deal with so many choices. I found this link directly from Google:
https://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Ab...o-Matrix_10201_10057_1016959_-1_400034__A.htm

I see!.....(I tried clicking on the "pool professional" page earlier and it wouldn't take me to anything different... Thanks for straightening that out for me!

- - - Updated - - -

On page 11 you'll see part number SPX1515Z1XE.............1HP Motor with switch. Most of the info in the manual is geared towards install, as there's not much to the working of the pump.

Thanks!...I did see that part... I guess I just expected more of an explanation about switching between high and low speed. I spoke with my local pool professional again about the Hayward 2 speed pumps. He said that they had a switch for high/low speed...but they still had a tiny circuit board about the size of a toonie that kept causing problems. He said that for every 10 he sold, 7 of them came back with problems...so he simply stopped selling them...

You pool store person is either lying or has been astronomically unlucky. We have 70,000 ish members, recommend that pump all the time, and no one has every reported that problem. My guess is that they don't want you buying something they don't sell, as they then won't make any money off of the sale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know what the heat pump flow rate minimum specification is?

Yes...for the Summit heat pump that I'm looking at in town, it says 30-70GPM. For the Raypak heat pumps it's 30-60 GPM. I'm hoping that I'll have enough flow on low speed to support the heat pumps...or else it defeats the purpose of buying the 2 speed pump.... I know the pump is capable of it...but not so sure what I'll have for flow after the friction loss in piping, sand filter, SWG, ect....

- - - Updated - - -

Also...what happens to the heat pump if you don't manage to get the minimum flow?...Will it damage it, or is there a safety that would shut it off?

At 30 feet of head, the 1593 is 80GPM...plenty even at low speed (40GPM)...but at 40 feet of head it's down to 62GPM at high speed...only 31GPM at low speed...which seems dangerously close to my minimum. If I'm cutting it this close, I need to figure out quite accurately what I'll have for resistance or feet of head. I've seen a formula somewhere online in my searching but didn't pay much attention to it at that time... do you guys have a safe and accurate way to figure this out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.