Brittle Thermometer rope after only 2 months in water

el_steak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Yesterday I went to check the water temperature in my pool and to my surprise, the white rope used to attached the thermometer snapped right off when I pulled lightly on it. I tried tying another knot, but the rope snaps off right away, with little to no force. I can actually break it in little pieces just by pulling with my 2 fingers. It's the "standard" pool thermometer type white rope (if there's anything like that).

This got me concerned with the chemistry of my water. Is possible that something in there would cause that? Could this also affect my vinyl liner? or is it just a bad rope...

The thermometer (and rope) are almost new and were in the water only for a month in the fall and 2 months this spring.

I have a Taylor K2006 and here are my numbers:

FC: 4
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: 80
Salt: 3300
Borate: 50

I have a goldline SWG running ar 9% and my PH has been very stable since I added the borax. I did 2 shocks with dichlor bags at the opening of the pool and got the FC pretty high at 15-20 and I didn't have any CYA at that time. I also poured a gallon of acid in the pool when going to Borax, but I did it slowly, following the instructions in the stickie.

Yes, I had that exact thing happen with a cheap thermometer from Leslie's. The "rope" they include is not made of the correct material. You should replace it. I used fishing line, but there are several things that will work.

AnnaK said:
Yep, ditto. I don't tie my thermometer anymore. I just leave it inside the skimmer basket.

That's a good idea! Maybe my toddler won't see it, and not play with it, plus it will have the correct temp cause of circulation in the skimmer. BRILLIANT!

Self-defense.

I don't have toddlers but I do have retrieving shepherds, a rare breed which tries to catch anything that swims, floats, bobs, flies, runs, crawls, slithers or motates in any other way. They've not yet discovered the thermometer inside the skimmer :)

we live in the country - we use baler twine for everything!...I've used the same piece of orange twine for 3 years now...i also made it much longer so the themometer hangs about 3 feet deep...it was decieving when you read the water temp near the surface at 90, but 2 feet below that was 80...shocking!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.