Pool cover problem

Aug 2, 2013
Hi, I'm a new-ish owner of a pool which was installed 6 months back. The pool is salt water based and was covred and closed for the winter by a pool company 6 months back, so this is my first winter with a pool. I don't live at the property as its a holiday home, but on a recent visits over the past couple of months, i've noticed the water on top of the pool cover is getting deeper and deeper. Pool size is 12x5metres

There is now maybe 2feet of rain water, rubish, green suff on top of the pool cover (it rains a lot in Tuscany during winter). It appears to me the cover is getting dragged further down into the pool. This puzzles me some what as there was water already in the pool before it was coverwd, so how is the cover getting deeper and deeper ? There are no visble holes, the cover is held down by water filled bags scattered around the pool edge, but it looks like these might give way eventually.

Any ideas what could be going on here ?

It is unlikely that the cover will fall all the way in. Usually the pull is just from the sides of the cover getting pushed down tight against the walls, instead of sloping slightly.

Still, you don't want the water getting too deep, as that can cause a variety of secondary problems. The best thing is to get an automatic cover pump, that will pump water off the cover when there is water there. Alternatively, you can use a hose to setup a syphon when you are there, and hope you don't get too much water between visits.

I assume your cover is made of a tarp like material? If so they are not 100% waterproof over a long time period they can seep water which is what i would guess is happening. Pump the water off the top back into the pool sans debris of course

You might be right regards the tarp type material. I guess they gave me the cheapest cover going as it was in with the price. The water above the cover is cloudy green and full of all sorts. I don't really want to put that in the pool. I guess its going to cost me either way because if I syphon the water above the cover out, the pool will be 1-2ft short of the skimmer, and on a water metre thats quite a few gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.